Recent content by KristenJensen

1. KristenJensen

Leaking shower arm

Just want to tell future readers that I bought a generic shower cartridge kit from Amazon (~$60) and installed it. It worked. No more leaks. I did see videos that recommended just replacing the rubber washers (behind the cartridge) for $5.00 and reinstalling the same cartridge, but I didn't...
  2. KristenJensen

Leaking shower arm

Thanks for the response, Sylvan. But I'm a bit confused. All plumbing tubes are hollow. I have CPVC that travels from the mixing valve to the metal drop ear, then to the metal shower arm. Why would it matter if there is debris in the CPVC/shower arm or not? Why would debris allow water to...
  3. KristenJensen

Leaking shower arm

I noticed a drip from my Delta shower trim kit head, so I removed it down to the shower arm to inspect, isolate, and clean. The drip was coming from the shower arm pipe itself and not some malfunction of the trim kit. I can see behind the shower (mechanical room) and there is no leak from the...
  4. KristenJensen

Amount/purpose of gravel around drain pipe

Thanks everyone. I decided to refill with native soil. Not great. Because of the high clay and water content, it doesnt compact easily. When I stomp on it, it buckles up in an adjacent area (like a water bed). If I could go back, I probably would have brought in sand by a truck and...
  5. KristenJensen

Amount/purpose of gravel around drain pipe

Hello all, I just had the under-slab plumbing completed at my 1951 Maryland home. Old CI pipe was removed to property line and replaced with PVC. Old Type M copper was replaced with type K to property line. Question is regarding gravel. I saw the plumbers placed gravel beneath the pipe...
  6. KristenJensen

Cast iron to PVC waste line transition in basement

Hello helpful denizens! Below is my scenario. 1956 residence in Maryland – 4” CI drain pipe is under (now exposed) slab basement – CI drain exits house under footer and is approximately 8’ underground on exterior of home. I want to have my CI replaced with PVC for my whole house complete...
  7. KristenJensen

Shower drain assembly

Jim, thanks so much for the time you took to answer. When I read what you wrote, I knew you were right. Too many bends the way I suggested above and I think it would have been jerryrigged. I dug down further like you suggested and found the elusive P trap, then cut at the horizontal piece...
  8. KristenJensen

Shower drain assembly

Hello friends, I have a cement slab home from the 1950’s in El Paso, Texas. I tore out the entire shower for a redo, and decided to center the drain while I was at it. My plan is to cut this pipe near the bottom, attach a 90, then a short straight piece horizontally, then another sweeping 90...
  9. KristenJensen

No hot water after installing Delta valve - Pics included

Plumber69. Thank you. You were 100% correct. The 2 plumbers had said they had done it like that several times without issue. Also, there weren't 2 white plastic plugs inside like I thought. It was just an empty brass housing that allowed the hot/cold water to mix. They also said that the...
  10. KristenJensen

No hot water after installing Delta valve - Pics included

Hello everyone. I’ll try to make this as succinct as possible. Problem: After plumbing repairs, I have cold water coming from both the hot and cold fixtures (sink in kitchen and shower in bath). I was using hot water just fine until repairs were completed. Events leading up to: I needed...
  11. KristenJensen

Closet flange problem solving

Thank you all for your input. Since I had some other plumbing jobs that required soldering, I ended up having a plumber come over and take care of the rest of the toilet too. I'll let you know what he did. Also, I ended up not filling the space first as I had planned. FYI, @Reach4 the white...
  12. KristenJensen

Closet flange problem solving

DIYer here. 1st time poster. I pulled my toilet to replace the floor tile (& new toilet) on my 1955 homes concrete slab. Now, with the tile reinstalled, the flat repair split ring flange is barely level with the tile when pulled up by hand to its highest level. A plumber gave me the ring...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks