Recent content by klm917

1. K

Should this water meter be moved?

Yeah, the whole project grew beyond original scope. It was a water heater installation, but when they issued the permit they told me to test the pressure and install PRV/expansion tank if required. Sure enough my pressure was 90 psi, so I set out to install a PRV. My meter was directly...
  2. K

I will do that. Hopefully will have a plumber in here soon to take a look so I’ll let you know what he says too.
  3. K

Yeah, it's all copper and brass before the meter (galvanized doesn't start til after, i used the magnet test) but that old gate valve doesn't turn off fully so I would like to replace it. My plan when I was thinking I'd DIY it was to just add a new valve after the meter like you said but if I...
  4. K

Thanks for the encouragement. I’m getting pretty good at soldering so the piping itself doesn’t worry me, I’m more worried about supporting it properly and putting tension on the main and also that it would be a trip/kick hazard. And, an inspector is going to have to look at this (I need to put...
  5. K

Thanks for the insight everyone, I think the decision is to go with a pro on this one given the complexity and the risk.
  6. K

I am working through replacing old galvanized steel pipe in my basement. Most of the house is copper, but the previous owners left a few old runs of galvanized steel in place including right after the meter where it runs under the concrete foundation for a few feet. (There were other underground...
  7. K

Identifying the size of a water meter / correct meter coupling

Well, I spoke to the guy at the city in charge of water meters, he said he recommends reusing the old one. He said even if it’s black it is likely and older brass (superior to the new brass). He said it is 5/8” and if it did need replaced, the city would be able to source one. He noted it is a...
  8. K

Thanks, I will do that. I actually suspect it might be iron, it is quite black, but I will test it later. It is connected to very old galvanized steel, which I will be replacing. (the purpose of the project). It's a 100+ year old house I moved into last year.
  9. K

https://www.pollardwater.com/product/ay-mcdonald-58-x-34-in-swivel-nut-x-mpt-brass-reducing-meter-coupling-m74620ef/_/R-3765014 I did find it here at "PollardWater" which seems to be a subsidiary of Ferguson, I just bought it for $23 so hopefully that is the correct size. If not, I will still...
  10. K

Thanks, I'll see what I can figure out. I assumed I should replace it because the threads look kind of rusty on the NPT end, but I can probably figure out a way to use what's already there, as long as the threads seal well.
  11. K

https://www.ferguson.com/product/ay-mcdonald-58-x-34-in-swivel-nut-x-mpt-brass-reducing-meter-coupling-m74620ef/_/R-3765014 I think I might need this size but it seems to be out of stock everywhere...
  12. K

Thanks for your response. I cut a piece of string that exactly fits around the threads and it's just about 3 3/4" circumference. If I divide that by pi, which is I think the way you do this, I get an O.D. of around 1.2, which is right in the middle of the two sizes you sent. I think the guy at...
  13. K

Hi all, I want to replace the old pipes directly after my water meter as part of a larger re-piping job, and one of the things I need to do is replace this old water meter coupling. I have had a hard time identifying the proper size and finding the proper coupling. I am sure that the male end...
  14. K

Leaking threaded connection

Wasn't planning on it - the horizontal copper pipe you see near the top of the picture is mounted to the wall in two places with copper bell hangers and it's really solidly in there.
  15. K

Leaking threaded connection

Sometimes I get a little nervous putting all the tension on the pipes with all the tightening and untightening like something's going to break, especially since this one was pretty tight and there are a bunch of other joints right near it. You inspired me I just took it off and tried Tape &...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks