Recent content by Kevin Craig

1. Kevin Craig

Hairline cracks in brand new softener tank

Update here. I installed the new tank despite the hairline cracks and sure enough it continued to leak slowly as soon as I turn the water on. After about 2 hours of tinkering and trying different things, I finally decided to lube the entire valve head with silicone. I screwed it on and that took...
  2. Kevin Craig

Hairline cracks in brand new softener tank

I bought a whole house carbon filter about 4 years ago and recently I noticed hairline cracks in the neck where the valve screws in and water was slowly leaking out. I contacted the website where I ordered the tank and they had a new one sent out promptly. But I noticed on the new tank there are...
  3. Kevin Craig

Help Identify Valve and Brine Draw Issues

Follow up. I tried iron out again, no luck. Then Res Care Pro, no luck. Then multiple regenerations, no luck. Then I tried regenerating with 2 cups of vinegar and the smell is completely gone. No smell and the taste is delicious.
  4. Kevin Craig

Did Super Iron Out ruin my softener?

Follow up. I tried iron out again, no luck. Then Res Care Pro, no luck. Then multiple regenerations, no luck. Then I tried regenerating with 2 cups of vinegar and the smell is completely gone. No smell and the taste is delicious.
  5. Kevin Craig

Thanks for the tip - I tried this and I am still getting the smell. My wife also finds it off putting. The smell of IO powder is not offensive to me (kind of minty?) but this lingering smell seems different. Also note that when I let a glass of water sit for a while, the smell goes away as if...
  6. Kevin Craig

Thanks, interesting idea. But how does the slow rinse differ from the fast rinse, or from just running the water after regen is complete which would also rinse the resin? Also, how long would you recommend I leave the power off? Good idea, thank you
  7. Kevin Craig

I am having this exact same problem and it's stumping me! After performing the iron out procedure, my water has an awful smell as the original poster described, like hot brake pads. When I bypass the softener, the smell goes away. I have done several regenerations with no luck. Kind of at a loss...
  8. Kevin Craig

After flushing the iron out for 20 minutes, my water is testing at zero hardness, success! But it smells like a hot brake pad, not success lol. Reading up on the threads you linked but in the meantime I am starting another regen.
  9. Kevin Craig

Hmmm, I'm not sure if I understand the question. But the unit is set to regenerate at 2:00 a.m. and then it goes in the exact order that I posted above. So I think you must be right. There is no water in the tank most of the time, then it fills it as first step of the regeneration process. Then...
  10. Kevin Craig

That softening stage is a full 240 mins! And it's dead silent. Does not sound like anything is happening with the valve.
  11. Kevin Craig

Also, can anyone comment on my current settings? The water coming in is a 14 on the hardness scale. I am not even sure what "Softening" stage is (slow rinse) but that seems really long. 1. Fill - 6 mins 2. Softening - 240 mins 3. Backwash - 8 mins 4. Regen Draw - 72 mins 5. Rinse 4 mins
  12. Kevin Craig

Thanks for the tip, I had no idea the resin could be cleaned like this. Do you just pour it in the salt tank and do a full regen? Also, my brine draw is set to 80 minutes and it was sucking brine water the whole time (The tank was way high). I had to run my tub for like 5 minutes to get all of...
  13. Kevin Craig

Update, I put in in bypass mode and then initiated regen to release pressure. Unscrewed the injector cap and immediately saw a thick layer of iron sediment in the housing. I removed excess water with a turkey baster and cleaned the housing while the injector soaked in CLR. I then cleaned the...
  14. Kevin Craig

Thanks! In this case would you bypass the softener and then start with just cleaning out the injector components? As for the sediment filter, do you recommend any backwashing setups that might have less maintenance than the big blue? I think that would need to be removed and cleaned periodically
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks