Recent content by K.

1. K.

Thermostatic valve max temp

I noticed on my valve that without the trim attached, the rotation range of the valve is 540 deg, and with it on, it is restricted to 270 deg plus an additional 90 on the hot side if you click a little button. Therefore, I think I would get a subset in the fraction 360/540 of the full temp range...
  2. K.

HELP!! Veritek pan with full frameless glass panel & door issue/question...

I had a similar configuration. The glass is the one thing I didn't install myself, but I have that kerdi foam curb so the bottom uchannel is just held in place with little plugs in the tile, not screwed down into anything solid. As noted, the silicone does the actual job of securing things. Re...
  3. K.

Has anyone seen a corner tub installed like this

I tore out that type of tub in a diy renovation, from a regular forward facing installation. As noted it had no integral tiling flanges on the back alcove sides, and had been installed without any flange addition or subsitute. There wasn't any evidence of water seepage behind the tiles, but that...
  4. K.

Help with Tub Purchase

I installed the American standard Serin tub, 60x32x23" deep and quite rectangular in its shape. It was about $625 with flange but skirt extra, but that was a special order from ********* Canada which means I paid full list price so I'm sure it can be had for less.
  5. K.

Who is giving out this online advice? Are they a worker or a salesman.

It's a good question. I wouldn't be too surprised though. I used this forum and the above-mentioned tile forum exclusively for a DIY bathroom reno, including the orange membrane and the Toto toilet. In retrospect I would agree there is a distinct difference between the two forums, and while I...
  6. K.

Shower head flow restrictor blocks all flow??

I lost all flow from a rainhead showerhead quite recently. The whole installation is quite new so corrosion effects to this point are minimal, and there is plenty of pressure coming out of the open shower arm. That leaves the rubber three-holed flow restrictor and the mesh screen. When removed...
  7. K.

How to judge tightness of threaded connections

Ah, the engineers are one step ahead of us... there are different thread categories for dirty and clean environments. As far as standard pipe thread goes, I don't know which category is in but since overtightening will not close a leak in a tapered pipe joint, why not be aware of how far it is...
  8. K.

How to judge tightness of threaded connections

While it's certainly true that pipe threads are not guaranteed to be watertight without the right amount of dope and/or tape, you can at least be certain about how many turns to make. All tapered thread specs have an 'engagement' spec which tells you the overlap between the two parts when fully...
  9. K.

how to get water out of copper pipe to solder it properly

Try some tubing perhaps rather than a straw? Worked well for me since it was flexible to pass through one or two bends and thus reach farther down into the pipes, and get more of the water out. -Jonathan
  10. K.

How to maneuver a deep tub into a tight space

If it's cast iron, that may be the way to go. Even the previous renovator of my bathroom had done that, when putting in a corner jacuzzi unit. My tub also was acrylic and weighed just 60 pounds I think; very easy to manage.
  11. K.

How to maneuver a deep tub into a tight space

I had a similar installation that went well. It was a American Standard Serin 60x32X?? not sure of depth offhand but quite a bit deeper than 14", going into the back alcove wall of a 5' wide room. Brought it through the door on end, and rotating it down into position was tight but manageable...
  12. K.

"Precise" rough in of shower? Need advice...

Hehehe, I'm not a plumber either so on this forum I'm no expert, but I do think the thread engagement spec is handy to have. There's a few different types of tapered threads out there and amongst other things they all have engagement specs. For me as a diy'er, it was the only way to get a sense...
  13. K.

"Precise" rough in of shower? Need advice...

1/2" npt threads are rated between .32" hand tight and .534" max thread engagement so there could be some room to manuever there as long as that connection doesn't have to seal against static water pressure when the handshower is off.
  14. K.

Moving shower drain a few inches.

My experience with the permit was as you imply. I had to insist on getting one at the permit office as they weren't interested in what I was talking about at all. Then when the inspector came for the rough-in work he also seemed relatively disinterested, certainly wasn't looking to bust me on...
  15. K.

New shower arm dripping in wall

I too wondered about this sort of question with shower arms and pipe nipples. Eventually I read that standard pipe thread has a specified amount of overlap ("engagement") for each nominal pipe size. Combine that number with the threads per inch to figure out how many turns you can get. Eg: for...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks