Recent content by johnapril

1. johnapril

Bump out for shower

David, The wall on the right, behind the toilet, is the only exterior wall. The wall at the bottom is the wet wall between bathrooms. The walls at the top and the left are the walls separating the bathroom from the master bedroom. All of the drains would be easy to move around, as the...
  2. johnapril

Bump out for shower

There is a small window over the toilet.
  3. johnapril

Bump out for shower

Folks, I am tossing around ideas about how to remodel the master bath in my house. The present bathroom is small, 5.5' x 7'. I thought to bump out that piece of the exterior wall about 2.5' to permit a 4' x 5.5' shower. The bump out would be on the south gable end of a brick ranch on a...
  4. johnapril

Internet explorer or Moxilla Firefox

I use NetZero's $9.95/month modem service and Firefox as well as Safari on my Mac. Works great. Some sights don't work on one, so I use the other.
  5. johnapril

Bathroom additions

Bathrooms are costly if you don't do it right the first time. Make sure you pressure test the waterworks and waterproof the layer before the tile. I spent $5K on a gut and replace job I did myself two years back. That room was 7 x 6 feet. If I were building I would make the bathroom a...
  6. johnapril

Sound proof interior doors

The plan is to install a 20-minute firedoor with a seal for the bottom that slides out of a notch, activated by a button when the door is shut. He will employ a single rabbeted jamb.
  7. johnapril

Folks, thank you for all your suggestions. My contractor has proposed a solution that I will post in detail once he and I go over it on paper. For now I will say it involves a 1-3/4" 20-minute fire door. When the door shuts, a "button" at the bottom of the door will activate a seal for the...
  8. johnapril

Jimbo, where should I look for the best soundproof solid door? What thickness? What material?
  9. johnapril

We are turning an exterior porch into an interior space. One thing we would like is to put French doors in the bedroom opening onto the new space. We would like these doors to block the sound from the rest of the house, however, obviously so that anyone sleeping would not be disturbed. Does...
  10. johnapril

extending ductwork from crawl to slab

Thanks for the response. The porch is only screened from one side. The other two sides are presently occupied by exterior grade sliding glass doors, one into a bedroom, the other into the dining room. The plan would be to remove both sliders, but replace the one to the bedroom with a nice...
  11. johnapril

extending ductwork from crawl to slab

I would like to turn our screened-in porch into an interior space. The house is on a crawl space. The porch is on a slab. Is it possible to extend the ductwork from the crawlspace into the walls of the porch area and have the registers on the walls?
  12. johnapril

fireplace smell when AC runs

The house is a 1-story brick ranch built in 1961. I do not think it is completely air tight. I cleaned out the fireplace ash and a log left over in there after the winter, and then, after running the AC for another day, the smell has subsided. Not sure what to make of it.
  13. johnapril

fireplace smell when AC runs

Last fall we had the flue replaced in our fireplace. It was the type that sits right over the fire. It was rusted out. We replaced it with a flue at the top of the chimney. The cord runs down the chimney, and you close it by pulling the cord down and hooking it off to the side. This worked...
  14. johnapril

bedroom window

I wonder if the contractor's building plan for this, having the modified space labeled as "laundry room," would be enough. Here in Indiana it seems the codes are sort of lax. My contractor used to build in California where he says the restrictions were more plentiful.
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks