Recent content by John_NC

1. J

2500 sq foot of concrete slab

Radiant heat in the slab Would have loved it, cost was too much, tight budget. I did splurge on the insulation though, did spray foam type. John
  2. J

Never post on Ambien! Already correctd the spelling in my orig post but meant to ask. What other options to hardwood or carpet to keep from freezing your feet in the winter on a concrete slab. This is new construction. I already double insulated the exterior daylight walls. 1" rigid foam...
  3. J

In my walk out basement entertainment area. The area has heat/air but the floor is coooold. Any solutiond to cover it, there's carpet, eng hardwoods, what else? John
  4. J

gas hot water heaters

Not enough data What flow are you getting from your shower head? How far is the tank from the shower? How long do you wait for it warm up? what's the temp set for on the heater? If it's a newer shower head, it should be in the order of 2 to 2.5 gpm. 8 min X 2.5 gpm flow is only 20 gallons...
  5. J

Uphill septic system

You are correct Rancher I was describing the pumped system I just installed, 2 tanks, 3 chambers in all. The first tank has two access covers, I plan to pump out both on a regular basis. By the way, I opted for the innovative drain field. Cool stuff, no gravel, just a 3' half pipe upside...
  6. J

Common sense tip for installing heavy well pump on roll pipe

This might be elementary to most here but I thought it worth mentioning. Roll pipe usally comes sealed on the ends to keep contaminations out. When installing a 50 lb pump in a well, don't cut to opposite end or trim the pipe to expected size before floating it down the well. The air trapped...
  7. J

Uphill septic system

pumped septic field, not so scary the pump and control box in a pumped septic system is a relatively small portion of the whole system monitarily. A pump will run you less than $200. the box, also less than $200. labor to replace either or both, that's another story. What IS expensive is drain...
  8. J

Pipe Size From Well To Pressure Tank

NPT size is 1 1/4 for 10 - 20 gpm pumps You may be fine with a 1" pipe on a 10gpm pump however today's pumps are usually 1 1/4 " for 10gpm - 20gpm capacity. It's fairly common for installers to reduce drop pipe size on these to 1" but I'm not a fan of introducing any unnecessary restrictions or...
  9. J

Well pump > two water heaters > recirculation - sanity check

What part of the country is that Rancher? It sounds like you might be in a pretty arrid part of the country. It's pretty common to get 1.5-3 gpm wells around here (Central NC) My neighbor has a 5k sq foot house and is doing fine on 3 gpm for the last 6 years since he built. Also my friend I...
  10. J

Well production @ 3.5 gpm I hear you. I have hopes that 3.5 is already on the low end. The well was drilled during a drought year. (Water restrictions were in place for all public supplied residents). If I run out of water, I'll have to either drill another well or install a cistern as you say...
  11. J

Well and Cycle stop valve suggestions needed

I'm no pro but going through the same process If your well produces enough gpm I would consider a constant pressure pump. It would eliminate the need for a large pressure tank. These tanks get costly. If your well produces at least 5 gpm at that depth, you may have a candidate for this type...
  12. J

Good idea to repost in well & pump forum. I'll ask the moderator if he can cross-post this thread to that forum.
  13. J

Lifting the kimono To fill in the full picture... This is all the plumbing I can think of and the reason I feel it's essential to have a tight pressure tolerance. Outside: 5 hose bibs upstairs: Laundry - Washer connections Bathrooms, 4 - 3 shower tubs, 1 shower, 4 toilets Main...
  14. J

Am I skimping? Mark, I respect your status as a sr member here but do you think 3.5 gpm is literally nothing? Why am I nuts if I think my set-up won't work? This is why I'm here, to get informed opinions. I have gotten confirmation from a reputable "well man" in the area but on the same...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks