Recent content by John Gayewski

1. John Gayewski

Parallel drain system for greywater - pipe sizing

You can definitely split the two sections and keep them seperate until after your diverter. This is not a thing I've dug into. I'm not sure a pool diverter valve is OK for this. I'm actually questioning any type of system that diverts drainage. As the code has sections that would contradict...
  2. John Gayewski

Replacing a section in ABS horizontal drain below slab

Your right in that you can't mix pvc and abs, but it is legal to transition them. Meaning converting from one to another is OK, but going back and fourth isn't OK. There is cement to transitioning. Unless the no hubs are rated for underground you can't use them underground.
  3. John Gayewski

Replacing a section in ABS horizontal drain below slab

Buried pipe needs fernco's. There are shielded fernco's if you don't like the idea of fernco's. No hubs are not for burying, although there is a type of no that can be buried I think they are more expensive than normal ones.
  4. John Gayewski

Common Vent -- add a sink to floor drain dry vent ?

I think 890.1500 (c) allows you to do what you want to do. You have a 2" pipe and the trap for the upper fixture should be 1.5". So I think your good.
  5. John Gayewski

Common Vent -- add a sink to floor drain dry vent ?

Illinois has its own code. Your sure this is a true dry vent and is vertical with no horizontal portions underground?
  6. John Gayewski

Moen MCore little pressure full hot or cold

Your pipe is likely undersized for your given pressure. When mixed your getting full flow, but change to all cold or all hot your only getting flow from one side and the flow is reduced. This happens on most valves. It's usually noticeable but not a problem. If it's a problem it's likley a...
  7. John Gayewski

Back to Back Shower Valve / Trim Kit Best Practice

Yes they install the same with the cartridge in either orientation. The h goes on the hot side and is last to engage.
  8. John Gayewski

How much PVC pipe should be seated into a fitting for a safe / secure joint

3/4 of the depth would be the very minimum. But there should be a way to get it seated. It would be worth doing the extra work to get a fully seated joint as dwv joints are only for minimal pressure.
  9. John Gayewski

Descaling Navien NPE-240A with no shutoff for Recirculation line

You should not dilute the descaling solution. Yes you need a valve on the recirculation line. Try shutting the water service to the house off and opening all of the fixtures to drain all of the water lines. To down draining you could blow air through a hose bib or any stop at fixtures. While...
  10. John Gayewski

Seeking Advice on Kitchen Worktops!

Granite is the most durable but kind of out of style. Quartz is the current trend. Look up the heat limit on quartz. I don't think you'll be setting anything that hot on top of it. Sure you set your oven to 400, but the pan and food is no where near that hot. 200 is probably as hot as anything...
  11. John Gayewski

Sticky Water

Hard water or excess minerals also feels this way and is nothing to worry about. Test the hardeness.
  12. John Gayewski

Geothermal vacation setting

This looks like a job for a week placed ball valve or two.
  13. John Gayewski

Multiple leaks uponor pex 2012 home

These threads should just be deleted. Nothing is hitting the fan. People are reading things online where failures are highlighted and all of the working pipe that is in service and has been for many years is ignored. This is not an accurate picture of the failure rate. Copper falls all of the...
  14. John Gayewski

Multiple leaks uponor pex 2012 home

I don't mind most of what he said. It's appreciate it more of he presented his opinion and said why he preferred pex b. Instead he is just using his confirmation bias to make some silly claims.
  15. John Gayewski

I apologize for the dumb question but..

If you had went back and removed the outlet and started tinkering to try to find out what was wrong INSTEAD OF calling the electrician, then yes you would loose in court. You can't go and ticker with another man's work and then go back and say he did something wrong. Since you put the plates on...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks