Recent content by john c

1. john c

burned out pressure switch

Good to know everything is set up and working as it should. By the way I went ahead and kept the switch wired in parallel. I took a picture of the old pressure switch on the pump that burned out. The plastic actually melted on two switches before wiring it in parallel. At first I didn't notice...
  2. john c

Don't laugh. The challenge was fitting everything inside a dog house. It has worked great but I'll probably be replacing it this year with something that can enclose the pipes. The CSV was also an add on so I don't use the hose bib before it. Everything is running great. My only concern is the...
  3. john c

valveman, appreciate the great info. I upgraded the breaker to 30 amps. The new pump is up and running great. 10 years wasn't bad on the last one and I'm expecting this one to have a longer service life. I'm real happy with the larger motor and the CSV valve that I think will extend the life of...
  4. john c

It's 12 gage wire running 55 feet. 115 volts with 20 amp gfci breaker. Is this sufficiant for Goulds 1.5 hp motor?
  5. john c

Ok, I've installed the new pump. Runs well. It is 1 HP Goulds, however it has a 1.5 hp motor. They included a letter claiming in 2013 Goulds started using the 1.5 HP motor in the 1 HP. It also suggest a 20/30 amp breaker for 115/230 set up. Right now I have a 20 amp GFCI with 10 gage wire...
  6. john c

That pump had a lot of hard use in last 10 years when I was just using a hose to water the lawn. It kind of makes sense that the pump was failing with the burned up pressure switches, when it had been working fine. The new one should last longer because it won't cycle and will run in the morning...
  7. john c

btw.. the pump was 10 years old and did get a lot of use and cycled a good bit.. hopefully it will be good that I didn't put any money into the old one.. and it was just warn out…
  8. john c

The pump isn't working at all anymore. It was working fine but when I checked it this morning it was at zero pressure and the breaker had been tripped. When I turned the breaker back on it just hummed and started smoking from the middle of the pump. Not sure what did it. The pressure switch was...
  9. john c

Yep, the new pressure switch was from Lowes and had smaller terminals. I can't remember where I got the Goulds pump 10 years ago. I thought I bought it locally but maybe ordered it? The original switch for the pump did have bigger contacts but that one also burned up, and the first replacement...
  10. john c

Need a pump very quickly

I'm also curious what the source of the water is as, how far down, and what size well heads? Where I live it works best to have a 1 1/4' well head for for each 1/4 horse power of pump. I went from 4-5 GPM to 18 GPM just by adding three more well heads with a 1 hp Goulds shallow well pump, but...
  11. john c

It worked! Ran the common straight to the pump, and split the black to each in terminal and split the black out to the other pump wire. It's noticeably quieter, smoother, and pretty sure running cooler. The terminals don't get warm at all in pressure switch, and the sprinklers are putting out...
  12. john c

Cool! Ok, I'll try that! When I get a new dryer I'll probably switch that over to gas to free up a 240 breaker for the pump. I'll post an update. Thanks!
  13. john c

Once again, appreciate all the help! I'll probably just start a new thread tomorrow and try to find the right capacitor to order. If that doesn't work, and keeps overheating, might be time for a new pump, and will start a new thread for that one. :)
  14. john c

Sorry for any confusion it's a 1 hp shallow well pump.. The model # is C48A95A06 .. that is printed on the pump. http://www.wwpp.com/products/goulds/jetpumps.htm That was the only capacitor that came up with a Google search and I didn't know if it was the right one. I can't seem to find the...
  15. john c

Thanks for chiming in Valveman. The pump isn't cycling on and off. It's only used for irrigation. Today I ran it for 40 minutes with the new pressure switch that I relocated, and the two terminals for the wires to the pump got hot again. The same two that melted with the other two pressure...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks