Recent content by JoeSD

1. JoeSD

Black/grey staining in bottom of toilet bowl with water softener?

We have a catalytic carbon + water softener system, running for 4 years now. Over the last year or two the master bathroom toilet has slowly developed this blackish/gray staining in just the bottom of the bowl, and now the other two toilets in the house are slowly developing the stain. Scrubbing...
  2. JoeSD

PRV, Expansion Tank, pressure gauge question

Thank you! Is 67.5 PSI an ok setting for 24/7 on the PRV? I would set it lower but our sprinkler systems are behind the PRV and the heads don't like to pop up and work properly if the PSI is set too low.
  3. JoeSD

It was #3 on your list I believe that did it. The tank seems to be working properly again. After showering the WH runs for a good while (I have it set to hot) and the PSI rises from 67.5 to 77.5 on the gauge. Is that acceptable?
  4. JoeSD

An update to my never ending expansion tank and PRV saga. The plumber replaced the ET in August and it was bad as I suspected. Then last month the PRV started having pressure go all over the place and leaking rust colored water out of it, so the plumber replaced it with a nice new all brass...
  5. JoeSD

Mine has a black hand and a red hand for peak pressure. The red hand sometimes gets to 80 overnight but not above that since the new tank has been installed. I've been watching and adjusting the PRV all week and still can't tell if it's faulty or starting to fail. Very frustrating!
  6. JoeSD

I checked the lock nut and it was loose and turnable by hand. I tightened it down. We are also in the middle of a heat wave. Is there such a thing as the city water supply heating up and increasing PSI by a few degrees?
  7. JoeSD

In the last few days I've noticed the pressure gauge (I never took it off the hose spigot next to the cutoff) measures a constant 65 PSI now instead of 60 PSI. I haven't touched anything since last month when I made this post. Is that a bad sign that the PRV is starting to fail?
  8. JoeSD

Thank you for all the helpful info! With all the information I listed in this thread, do you think I should be good to go?
  9. JoeSD

Would our master shower dripping a little bit of water randomly throughout the day sometimes be related to that?
  10. JoeSD

So now the black needle on the pressure gauge is climbing to 70 PSI overnight/when we're out of the house for a few hours when the water heating is heating up. Is the expansion tank getting overwhelmed since it wasn't set to 60 PSI (same as the PRV) ?
  11. JoeSD

Do you think should I try and lower the expansion tank PSI to 60 or just leave it alone? I looked at the tank, it is a PFXT5 from Proflo.
  12. JoeSD

My plumber replaced my expansion tank since the old one had failed, the PRV is at 60 PSI and the plumber set the new expansion tank to 65 PSI. I have a pressure gauge attached to the hose spigot next to the cutoff outside monitoring the pressure and it stays at 60 PSI throughout the day while...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks