Recent content by jla

1. jla

Construction questions on steam shower and bath reno

Interesting that the shower glass installer was here and had several comments concerning transoms. His experience transoms is that the hardware(hinges) on the transoms is not available in any kind of quality material and he has found that this hardware has to be replaced every 3-4 years. He has...
  2. jla

So about what width is that metal piece--1/2"? The pictures are great, thanks.
  3. jla

Also, is the vented metal piece pictured on the ceiling of your shower part of the steam unit or an additional vent you installed? I have never seen that. I noticed your comment on the air tub and will be installing a self cleaning Bain Ultra one also this week. Any specific tips, techniques...
  4. jla

Can you describe the basic installation of the shower glass door using the Kerdi Fix and what to avoid? I want to have specifics to discuss it with the glass installer. As far as the metal piece for the cabinet, it may be fine to just have a description although I think I have about a week for...
  5. jla

John, I would like to get information on a frameless,clear glass shower door choice and installation for the steam shower. Is it best to have a transom at the top or no--pros and cons? It would seem that a transom would be preferable especially when the steam is not in use.There is one vent fan...
  6. jla

John, That would be great if you had a picture of the metal accent for the vanity or had a name for it and/or description. The curb sold at our tile store is a 6 x 48 synthetic and has a threshold for our entrance to match which is 4-1/2 x 36. Also, what is best to use joining all around the...
  7. jla

Curb question: For the steam shower is a synthetic shower curb preferable to a natural stone curb or doesn't it really make a significant difference? Thanks. Vanity question: Because there is a steam shower, is one wood preferable over another as far as vanity material? I am considering cherry.
  8. jla

John, I would like to run everything by you as far as proper steps taken, materials used, etc. concerning my steam shower. My reno is at the point where studs are in, and the electrical and plumbing is underway. At this point, I want to make sure I am asking all of the correct questions. Besides...
  9. jla

After listening to both John and Jim on this forum, I am going to be posting questions I may run into while construction is begun on my bathroom reno which includes a Thermasol steam shower as well as an air tub, heated floor, and 6' vanity with double sinks. 1. Is it necessary to do a tile...
  10. jla

Steam shower Construction

And how do I know what a "quality" porcelain tile is? On another issue, my steam shower and tub are on the same outside wall. Should the slanted ceiling in the steam shower continue for the length of that wall so also be over the tub?
  11. jla

So after only a few hours in the 1/2" of water, the water on the BACK of the glazed ceramic tile "wicked" halfway up. Is this what you mean is not good? You are right about the glaze not being on the edges.
  12. jla

Actually it's a glazed ceramic which I was just told is ok.
  13. jla

That link says, "virtually all tiles work well..." but to discuss with a representative. Do you recommend I change my shower wall and ceiling selection to porcelain? It has not been ordered yet so if you think it's important, I will do that.
  14. jla

I just read the info above that the tile in a steam shower should be porcelain. Does everyone feel this way?
  15. jla

Concerning the tile inside the steam shower, the only thing I know is that I am using ceramic on the walls, porcelain on the floor and seat and an accent of some glass tiles. They are all from different manufacturers. I would have thought that Thermasol would know about the thinset. Must these...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks