Recent content by jjohanson

1. jjohanson

Artist Center - Drain Line for Work Sink, Paintbrush Cleaning

Any tips on plumbing a work sink which people will use to clean paint brushes, etc? I am installing a work sink for an artists center, and am wondering if there are any special methods for plumbing the drain lines considering paints and chemicals will be washed in it?
  2. jjohanson

Soldering, Unjoining, and Resoldering Copper???

HJ, Thanks for the input. I'd imagine once I deformed the copper, then the cap was mechanically locked in place,and it was game over.
  3. jjohanson

An update... I couldn't get the caps off at all - the solder just wouldn't loosen, but the copper was so hot that it would warp when gripped with pliers. I tried putting screws in the caps, but they would pull from the copper. I just cut down the pipe further in and re-soldered a new...
  4. jjohanson

Also, is it possible to overheat the piping to the point it is no longer good? What would be some signs that this is happening?
  5. jjohanson

Kingsotall, Good suggestions. I drilled two holes in each cap to make sure that any steam had a place to escape in the off change I somehow hadn't cleared all the water. I read your post after that, so didn't leave a screw in to pull the cap off. Actually this was an issue because I...
  6. jjohanson

kingsotall, not yet, I plan to do that this morning on a fresh start. i'm going to give them a good clean and give the compression fittings a shot. the only potential issue I see is that after the pipe is sanded/cleaned, there is a sanded "texture" left over, which the solder would typically...
  7. jjohanson

Thanks for the responses! After Gary and Jadnashua's posts, I tried to pull a fitting and re-solder - worked well. I was having trouble before because I had not reheated and wiped the old solder from the pipe. DX, Can you give a reason for the "no" on this one? Assuming I cleaned the...
  8. jjohanson

Question 1: Can I use a compression fitting over solder leftover from a prior solder joint? Question 2: Can I re-solder a joint after heating up the old joint, removing the old fitting, and briefly cleaning the old solder with a wire cleaner? Background: I am new to sweating pipe - I have...
  9. jjohanson

Combustion Air Intake Efficiency / Heat Recovery Ventilators

Thank you for the responses. Makes sense now that the HRV would not work in this scenario.
  10. jjohanson

Combustion Air Intake Efficiency / Heat Recovery Ventilators

Question: What is the most efficient way to bring combustion air from the exterior? Can/should heat recovery ventilators be used to bring in exterior combustion air? Background: I am converting an old church building to a two family residence. The building has a small boiler room in...
  11. jjohanson

Painting Uponor Pex?

I called Uponor this morning and their answers we as follows: They said that a 100% latex or acrylic exterior house paint would be fine to use on the piping, however, they recommended against an oil based paint. As for daylight exposure, they said that any exposure to sunlight was...
  12. jjohanson

Painting Uponor Pex?

Interesting about paint voiding the warranty, I'll have to contact Uponor on that. Re exposed pipe: in my application, the pipe would be well protected from any mechanical damage - it would be mounted to the ceiling, behind insulated heating piping. The location is definitely out of direct...
  13. jjohanson

Supply Pipe Sizing FAQ Clarification

Thank you for the clarifications! My questions were answered to a tee!
  14. jjohanson

Painting Uponor Pex?

Is is acceptable to paint Uponor Pex? What are the reasons for or against? If I will paint the piping, any suggestions on the best type of paint and/or application method? I have read elsewhere online that Uponor frowns on the practice but said it would be acceptable to spray coat the...
  15. jjohanson

Supply Pipe Sizing FAQ Clarification

I had a few questions to clarify the water pipe sizing information that is on the FAQ: https://terrylove.com/watersize.htm 1) The first item on chart at the bottom says that that for 6 fixture units, you should use a 1/2" supply in building, then says for 19 units you should use 3/4". It...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks