Recent content by jimmie

1. jimmie

Pressure testing copper supply lines?

welll the city of chicago requires air tests at 120 lbs for 24hrs...and yes i do mean in residential work
  2. jimmie

3" PVC stack into Cast iron cleanout

ummmm anyways just to answer your question...they do make a 3 1/2" tp 3" reducing bushing =) it's available in both black, and galvanized.
  3. jimmie

How can I cap a rough-in toilet

my favorites always been dunkin donuts cups...the large sizefits perfect in a flange opening..
  4. jimmie

Am I on the right track?

personally I think 1/2 cpvc is useless for anything except filling up water ballons for the kids..do it in copper
  5. jimmie

Am I on the right track?

Rule of thumb Go with 3/4" minimum from the shutoff by the meter to the hot water heater. Run as much 3/4" as you can and only pull one fixture from each 1/2" branch..try to keep the 1/2" stuff under 5'. Picture your water supplies as a tree..the closer to the trunk..the larger they get, and...
  6. jimmie

Preference for solder and flux?

solder bridget is my choice..be aware though it's silver solder, and costs quite a bit more than regular 95/5. The nice thing about it is it heats at a lower temp, flows real nice, and leaves a nice cast. I dont think honestly, I have ever had a bad joint with it. Also I agree on the...
  7. jimmie

New Basement Rough-in

the vents should be before the discharge..for instance on the tub. You have a 2" trap arm of "x" feet developed length. You need the vent on that trap arm within 5' maximum of the trap (or 8' depending on your code ) and at least 2 times the pipe diameter away from the trap minimum (4"). Also on...
  8. jimmie

Proposed layout please comment, This is try #3 :-)

just a quick question.. is that an engineered floor joist (tji)? Not to ruin your parade, but keep in mind while laying all this out, there are guidelines you have to follow for holes on trussjoists.
  9. jimmie

Can I use this...

yes you could get pvc slip couplings...they're called repair couplings or shoulderless couplings. No can do on the doublewye. (by the way, it would be 45's to bring it back to vertical)
  10. jimmie

Toilet + sink plumbing plan: please review -- trying to decide between two plans

yep ..unfortunately, the call on the wet vent is up to the ahj. Some places allow it others dont. By the way ..what software is that you're using?
  11. jimmie

Toilet + sink plumbing plan: please review -- trying to decide between two plans

ok ...now i got ya...i was confused at first because looking at the drawings i saw no wet vent. Yeah anyways..as long as you can meet the required distance for the 3" which is 6' to vent, and as long as wet venting is permitted in your area..i dont see why not. You can also do what hj said, by...
  12. jimmie

you can't wet vent horizontally...where is the a wet vent anyways?
  13. jimmie

the bottom one is correct as far as the wye goes...even though your tee'ing off to a vertical vent..it's still part of the waste, and you cant have the san-tee on it's back.
  14. jimmie

Water Supply Sizing

Ok...here's the situation. I have put an addition on my house ading 800 sq ft. Included in this is 1 new bath containing a water closet, lav, tub/shower combo, and it's on the second floor. The existing bathroom and kitchen were more than adequate as far as pressure,volume etc..Now, my situation...
  15. jimmie

toilet drain and vent layout

well i know the distances are fine...i guess my actual question is about the drain/vent issue. Is this considered being vented before the discharge, and is the vent considered to be taking off below the drain? Im just getting opinions before I call for my rough in. Thanks
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks