Recent content by JHL

1. JHL

1950's Vintage Shower Valve Identification and DIY Removal Tips

I'm not in the house right now, it's in another city, so I can't give better photos of the exact handles and trim.
  2. JHL

For reference, just the handles and the fluted trim item, this is essentially what they look like.
  3. JHL

Thanks for that link ! I think what threw me was item # 16 in that diagram. With that backed off, I will be able to see the valve itself and go from there. My first thought, since the leak is occasional, small and only out the stem, it to give the packing nut a snug down and see if that makes it...
  4. JHL

Ok, yeah. We're into a bigger job than I am looking for right now, but that is something that might have to happen. I want to avoid it if possible. The good thing is the valve is leaking out the stem only when the hot side, (the photos are of the cold side) is opened and not when the...
  5. JHL

Ok, dumb question: How do I remove the stem ? I have the socket set shown above but from my observation, there isn't an obvious way to remove just the stem. Or am I just overthinking it here ? Just fit a socket to the narrow hex in the wall and wrench it out ? I guess the shape of the valve...
  6. JHL

Greetings everyone. I have a house originally constructed in the 1950's in Southern California. There is a shower valve that is leaking out the stem that I want to replace. I am fairly handy and want to tackle this myself. After reviewing available replacement valves at the local Ace store I...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks