Recent content by jfowells

1. jfowells

I don't want to kick out my tenant... main line needs repair

general schmutz, lots of grease. I didn't get a video of the inspection - the guys said it was a courtesy, so couldn't do it. From what I saw, though, the crack is pretty minor. It will of course need to be replaced eventually - or maybe lined - but for now the system works and my tenant is...
  2. jfowells

thank you! Those who suggested getting a more patient guy with a snake were right. The next day I called out another plumber, who spent the time required to make sure that the line was clear, not just letting some water through. In the end the guy with the hand snake who charged me $300...
  3. jfowells

burner won't stay lit

I have a gas water heater with an odd burner issue. The pilot stays lit, and in fact I'm able to light the pilot without pushing down the pop-up button, even when in the on position. It doesn't seem like the thermocoupler is requiring heat to maintain the pilot. Does this mean the pop-up is...
  4. jfowells

Thank you. You actually hit on the basis of my conviction that I may have hired a bad egg. He did not give me a dvd, and dismissed my request by saying 'we're just doing the camera inspection as a favor'. He used the locator to pinpoint where the crack is - that's how I know it's before the...
  5. jfowells

no lease. she understands the dilemma, and can move out for a while if I can fix it without taking out a second mortgage on my house... but she also knows that I wouldn't qualify for a second mortgage... I have a feeling I didn't explain my questions very well. 1. Can a partially blocked...
  6. jfowells

I will happily put her up if I can resolve the problem by replacing the section from the toilet to where it meets the tub, but tearing out the floor and redoing everything will take weeks of work, and I'm afraid it would be less expensive to take the house off the rental market than spend the...
  7. jfowells

Background: 600 sq.ft rental house built on a slab in 1923. The drains appear to run in a straight line from the kitchen, to the bathroom sink, to the toilet. From there it exits the wall and joins the tub drain in a little 'mechanical' closet, runs down to what I'm guessing is a 90 angle...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks