Recent content by Jedi

1. Jedi

Toilet Flange

At first I tried to gently bend the lead back so that is was straight and I could remove the flange ring and get the sub floor down in one piece but the lead pipe was cracking so I cut flush with the floor. The new plastic flange is sitting inside the lead pipe. I'm guessing that the ID of the...
  2. Jedi

Toilet Flange

My old toilet flange was a lead pipe with a metal ring slipped over it and the lead pipe edge bent over it. Because I've removed the old tile and mortar bed I cut the lead pipe a replaced the flange ring with a plastic one that has a bit of a tapered cone shape in the middle. Is this okay or...
  3. Jedi

Bathroom Reno Gone Terribly Wrong

The only wood hardening product I could find was a two part process and it's meant for small applications and not a whole wall. I also talked to a spray foam company and they said it would be a bad idea to spray over the rotten wood because the foam would attach to the loose fibers and fall...
  4. Jedi

When you mention foam do you mean rigid foam or spray foam? With the fiber board and strapping gone I'm going to have to build out the studs. I was thinking of placing Roxul insulation but I will have a gap. Should I leave the gap between the insulation and the rotten boards or buy the...
  5. Jedi

I think that the moisture is coming from the outside in because the studs are all wet and black on the side facing the outside wall. The only vapor barrier I saw was the paper backing on the insulation. Now after running the dehumidifier for a day everything feels dry. The boards do look like...
  6. Jedi

The top plate is black and wet but the bottom plate shows water damage but it's not black. The studs are about half wet and black on the side facing the outside wall. Without opening up all the walls it's hard to tell if the rot continues, but based on what I see it does. It's interesting...
  7. Jedi

I did my research, bought all the best products, start to gut the bathroom today and this is what I find. The outside wall is totally disintegrating. In some places you can see the stucco. The house is 55 years old and the walls consist of drywall, strapping, fiber board, insulation with...
  8. Jedi

Bathroom Exhaust Fan

Thanks a lot for all your help. I'll be picking up some 45 degree elbows and another piece of rigid line.
  9. Jedi

Bathroom Exhaust Fan

I live in Winnipeg, Manitoba. I'm not sure that you understand what I mean by a double ceiling. If you look at picture fan2 you will see a 2x4 with red writing on it. That is the new ceiling (the lower ceiling). Above that there is a gap of about 6" and then a 2x8. If you look closely...
  10. Jedi

Bathroom Exhaust Fan

Are you suggesting removing the lower ceiling? That's the only way I think of getting insulation into the section between the two ceilings. It looks like to me that the upper ceiling was only cut out in a 2'x2' section directly about the fan. BTW - In the past the ceiling in the bathroom...
  11. Jedi

Bathroom Exhaust Fan

Is this foil faced foam panel material available at Home Depot? I assume this should be used in the space between the two ceilings.
  12. Jedi

Bathroom Exhaust Fan

I've bought the NuTone QTRN110c which is rated at 110 cfm and 1.5 sones and will be putting it on a timer. Compared to the the one I have now it's much more powerful and it doesn't sound like a jet engine which will be a nice improvement. I did buy some 4" rigid but I'll have to buy some more...
  13. Jedi

Bathroom Exhaust Fan

I'm remodeling my bathroom and one of the first things I'll be replacing is the exhaust fan. My home is a 1 story home and I have a stair case up to the attic which is just insulation and about 6' tall in the middle. Today I went up there and was surprised to find that I have a double ceiling...
  14. Jedi

Tub install

Would it be possible to use rigid insulation or some 2x10's instead of mortar? I'm just thinking that would be easier. But then again I guess the rubbing against the insulation might make a squeaking noise. Do you suggest placing a sheet of poly down on the sub floor before adding the mortar?
  15. Jedi

Tub install

I've bought a new air tub and it is mounted onto a large flat piece of OSB which has 3 additional strips of OSB under it at the back and 2 additional strips in the front. I've read that mounting a tub in a bed of mortar is the best. Do I just add mortar between the front strips and the back...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks