Recent content by JBNE

1. JBNE

UPDATE: Gas boiler Carbon Monoxide problems after minisplit installation. Opinions needed!

Thanks for the reply. Yes, flue pipe does get larger, as pictured here. So are you saying that a new (motorized?) damper might be something to mention when I get another local tech over here?
  2. JBNE

UPDATE: Gas boiler Carbon Monoxide problems after minisplit installation. Opinions needed!

And to be clear, I realize that an internet forum is not my ultimate solution to this potentially very serious situation. Just looking for ideas to present to local people who have had no answers for me. I have had multiple people come by, none of whom have had answers/solutions. That last guy...
  3. JBNE

Update. Problem still persists sporadically. I installed a CO monitor with a digital display a couple weeks ago. It also has a memory feature that records peak levels. No CO whatsoever detected for a couple weeks. Then suddenly within the last few days, I've had two CO spikes in the basement...
  4. JBNE

Sure. Foam [crack] sealing work was completed last July (2021) and was especially focused on the attic floor. They also sealed throughout the house in various closets corners, where various pipes emerged, under-sink plumbing, and extensive foam sealing of rim joist areas in the basement...
  5. JBNE

Thanks very much for the reply, Wayne. Yes, the old boiler is natural draft. We had a lot of air sealing and added insulation to the attic, but that was almost a year in advance of the minisplit install, and in all that time we never had a boiler CO problem (and no issues running bathroom or...
  6. JBNE

Minisplit install resulted in gas boiler carbon monoxide problems. Ideas needed!

Posted this in the boiler forum, but this is an HVAC issue as well. Hopefully ok to cross-post here... We installed LG heat pumps/mini splits in our New England home. Home is about 2200sq feet, a mix of antique (built 1852) and newer addition. We have excellent windows and the home is well...
  7. JBNE

We installed LG heat pumps/mini splits in our New England home. Home is about 2200sq feet, a mix of antique (built 1852) and newer addition. We have excellent windows and the home is well sealed and insulated. Probably tighter than most homes of that vintage. New Equipment: We now have two 30k...
  8. JBNE

Tub drain updating, where and what...

Ha. Is that a Yes I can switch to PVC from the elbow? Or no to PVC, and yes I must go with brass/copper? [or yes and yes].
  9. JBNE

Last question! From this 1.5" brass elbow, is there any way that I can transition to a new PVC drain assembly, or is another brass/copper setup my only option (without addition cutting and removal of the drum)?
  10. JBNE

Thanks for the additional info! The pipe between elbow and tee is complete free from the tee. The tee is just loosely floating on it. That's the leak source. My removal of the old, corroded tub drain caused the break. So it sounds like I'll plan to replace everything above that nut on the elbow.
  11. JBNE

Thanks, Terry. Would you mind saying just a bit more for clarity?
  12. JBNE

Hello, I have a leak below the tee in my tub drain/overflow assembly. The tee floats freely on that narrower inner pipe, where the seal is completely lost. What's the best approach to replacing this drain setup (PVC?), and where do you suggest I begin/cut?
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks