Recent content by Jason Kay

1. Jason Kay

Master Bath Reno Cost Opinions

Wanted to get opinions on this quote. I'm in Northern NJ. It's for Labor only. I've received other quotes, but they include construction materials. I'm assuming $3K on top of this quote for construction materials to compare to other quotes. I received 4 quotes total. This one, another for about...
  2. Jason Kay

Vanity gap suggestions?

I’ll add that the gap is 1/4 inch at its largest.
  3. Jason Kay

Vanity gap suggestions?

Hi. Any suggestions to solve this gap between the wall and vanity counter top? The vanity came with a backsplash, which I didn't want to use. Thinking I may have to get a separate 3" backsplash and create a side splash with it, although I hate that look, which is why I tiled to the countertop...
  4. Jason Kay

Thin set ooze advice.

Any advice on how to keep thin set from oozing through the grout lines? I have quite a bit of dried thin set. I tried using an oscillating tool with diamond blade to chip it out but of course cause a chip in my tile. I’m using a 1/4” square notch trowel for 3X6 subway tile. Razor blade can’t...
  5. Jason Kay

Will Kerdi fix adhere over dried Kerdi fix?

So I did a sloppy job on the tub surround with the Kerdi fix. I was thinking to redo a band of Kerdi band over the what I’ve already done. Will the Kerdi fix adhere to what I’ve already done? I want to redo the entire tub surround. Thanks.
  6. Jason Kay

Sub Floor Support

The final product. Was able to get 2X 4 to span across joists with 1 toe screw in each far end of the 2x4. Should be good now. Thanks everybody
  7. Jason Kay

Sub Floor Support

Opened the floor and this is the situation. The back joist is about 10 inches under the next rooms so don’t have access to it. Can I cut a piece of ply wood in a “L” shape and glue and screw it under the existing sub floor to create a ledge for the patch?
  8. Jason Kay

Sub Floor Support

You're right...if I can do that, I wouldn't have this problem in the first place. Your suggestion of 2x2 may be easier since I can screw them into the flange from the right side and not from the top. If I can do a 2x2 all the way down the left side, I don't need the horizontal (in the picture)...
  9. Jason Kay

Sub Floor Support

Final (?) revised drawing. I added 2 2x4s to support the left side of the patch. So I screw these new 2x4 (or plywood) into the top flange. Then I can lay the patch on top of this and screw the entire length of the left side into all these 2x4s I added.
  10. Jason Kay

Sub Floor Support

This is under the toilet area...this doesn't sound like it would be strong enough. Don't want someone to fall through the floor while sitting on the toilet o_O
  11. Jason Kay

Sub Floor Support

I'll try again. Here's what I pieced together based on your suggestions. The left side joist is definitely under a wall. So the patch plywood (the highlighted yellow dotted line) will lay over these 2x4 blocks which run perpendicular. These 2x4 each get toe screwed into the top flange. The...
  12. Jason Kay

Sub Floor Support

Is this what you mean (not a 2x4 but same idea)? The top of the 2x4 gets screwed into the top flange. I should be able to get a screw or 2 into the bottom flange as well.
  13. Jason Kay

Sub Floor Support

Ah, I see. Thank you. One other wrinkle...I haven't yet opened the sub floor, but there' the possibility that I don't have access to the top flange of one of the I joists, because it may be under a wall. If that's the case, I have to somehow build out the web section of the I Joist to rest the...
  14. Jason Kay

Sub Floor Support

I appreciate the help, but I can't visualize what you're saying. Could you sketch it out?
  15. Jason Kay

Sub Floor Support

Probably a few feet wide. Not sure yet. I've a visual person....is this what you're describing? Is a 2x4 better than plywood for this? Thanks.
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks