Recent content by ITSec

1. ITSec

Replace duct work or whole system?

HJ - that is true since you have brought that up. Maybe it a combination of not enough insulation and improper ducts. The 3 ton system needs 1,200 CFM and with the 14" duct it's only 800 CFM, then all the bends and loops of the return duct it probably getting less than that. The air handler...
  2. ITSec

The builder's of this development used hydro heat for heat in these houses, so I do not have a heat pump or supplemental strip heaters. The 2 story houses in the development have their hot water tanks in the attic. I have a gas water heater in a closet in the center of the house that is...
  3. ITSec

I was thinking about paying for one of those online duct designs, but I'm a little skeptical about paying for that type of service. Cost is $300 and comes with materials list.
  4. ITSec

Dana - the ductless system seems like a great idea. I've been reading about HVAC systems and how they should be installed in the conditioned area and ductless seems to solve that problem since my crawlspace is open as well as the attic. Bison - My current system does not keep the house warm...
  5. ITSec

Service side of air handler
  6. ITSec

I need some advice from the experts, should I replace the duct work or the whole system? I currently have a 3 ton Trane compressor and First Co hydro heat system installed in 2002, the house is ~1,500 square feet ranch. The indoor unit is placed in the attic with 14" return duct and 6"...
  7. ITSec

Help w/ piping to hyrdoheat hydronic aquatherm First Co combo heater

Water going to the air handler is about 140F the return water I estimate 120F. Nevermind, in my brain I thought this was a good idea. Guess I need to take off my plumber's hat and put my IT hat back on.
  8. ITSec

I just had an idea! I was thinking of a way to make my system more efficient since the return water from the air handler is coming back cooler. So here's my idea: I was thinking of a way to wrap the copper line from the air handler around the flue. In theory when the water heater is on, the...
  9. ITSec

I actually have a video of what you described, water droplets were falling onto the burner from the flue. This only happened once when I first installed the water heater, it was probably 50F outside when this happened. It's been 30-40F lately and I haven't seen this problem come back.
  10. ITSec

Dana, Will an aquastat help in my situation, since it's getting colder outside the air handler and water heater runs 8-9 hours a day. When the heat for the house kicks on, the air coming through the vents is hot for about 30-45 mins then the air begins to cool down to a point where it...
  11. ITSec

Need Help specing water heater (not which brand is best?)

Wow Dana, very informative; it's going to take a few times reading your post to understand but i'll get it.
  12. ITSec

Thanks for all your help Dana! I finally have heat in the house, not fun getting ready for work when the temp in the house is 58F. From the vents I'm getting 109F, but when the shower was running dropped to 88F so I turned off the central heat until the water heater could catch up. I have...
  13. ITSec

The original water heater was rated at 65,000 BTUs, the new one is 40,000 BTUs, it should still be enough to heat the house. I did a rough calculation for heat loss and multiplied it by 1.58 and it was under 40k BTUs. The calculation was from the first co website. I'm thinking about...
  14. ITSec

Need Help specing water heater (not which brand is best?)

Guess I purchased the wrong water heater, I assumed apollo was the only company making dual purpose water heaters. That Vertex is a sweet looking water heater but doesn't fit the budget. The water heater I have now only has 40,000 BTUs and the old one was 65,000 BTUs, so I don't even think it...
  15. ITSec

I had an Apollo water heater that died on me over the holiday. The Apollo water heater had 4 ports, 2 for domestic water and 2 for the air handler in the attic. I assumed the only way to heat my house was to purchase another Apollo water heater, but I was wrong. In a earlier thread I noticied...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks