Recent content by IPDQKWID

1. IPDQKWID

Compression fittings need to stop leaking

Thank you for the details, very much. I think I've been way too concerned with overtighteningo_O
  2. IPDQKWID

Is it advisable and possible to run for this PEX layout, without using elbows (i.e. just bends)?

I know this was a couple months ago (I stopped checking in here). I meant I was going to turn on the water to the addition. My inspector wasn't needing to require an air test on the supply side.
  3. IPDQKWID

Thank you for the advice James. If I can rather easily slide the ferrule off the copper stub, does that mean I didn't tighten enough? And if using pipe dope, do I try to get some between the ferrule and pipe, or is that impossible, and dope goes just on the outside of the ferrule?
  4. IPDQKWID

I have been installing all the shut-off valves on an addition project. I'm using quarter turn angles or straights, 5/8OD inlet and 3/8OD outlet like the one pictured here. The install went fine on the cold water side, but now I am installing the hot side and I'm 3-for-3 on leaks. It's been a...
  5. IPDQKWID

Is it advisable and possible to run for this PEX layout, without using elbows (i.e. just bends)?

I ran 11 PEX lines (hot and cold) with almost no elbows (fewer crimps, fewer whatever rhymes with crimps that means goddammit), aside from the toilets, which I used something like these...
  6. IPDQKWID

Purple primer on threads

If it just will not loosen, even with a pipe on a pipe wrench for leverage, I'd cut the square off, then drill through the plug, then jigsaw or sawzall down to the threads, in two directions, then break the plug outward. Afterward, fill in the hole with one of these - they work regardless of...
  7. IPDQKWID

Cutting cast iron - is it difficult?

Thanks for the ideas guys - I soaped the hell out of the cast iron Fernco cap, and it did not show leakage. I had my misophonic son (he hears things others cannot - not to worry, its not voices), and with all sound shut off, system loaded up with 5psi, he walked around the addition, and comes...
  8. IPDQKWID

I have a really quick question, can't find the answer anywhere.

2" PVC repair coupling (the kind without the hub, and not the slide extend-a-thing): The two ends of the PVC pipes will almost touch, do I prime and glue both pipes, then slide the repair coupling down on the joint, with a twisting, jerking motion (sorry, that's an old Chris Farley line)? Thank you
  9. IPDQKWID

This is the cut out section of cast iron. Would you expect a Fernco Kwik-Cap torqued to 60 in-lbs to seal this pipe for an air test?
  10. IPDQKWID

Close to getting the DWV piping air tested. I cut out a 10" section of that cast, and put Fernco's over the cut ends. I torqued them to the required torques - should I have tried to make sure they were smooth? Is it likely that air will be leaking there? I have a gauge and Schrader valve...
  11. IPDQKWID

I see in the 'similar threads' below a number of threads with the info I was seeking. Got my questions answered. The search tool didn't reveal these as easily. Snap cutter it is.
  12. IPDQKWID

In order to get a pressure test done on an addition (two bath, laundry), I need to seal the drain piping, and this location seems to be the least disruptive. How difficult is it to cut cast iron? Would a rented soil pipe cutter be up to the job? Should I buy one? I intend to replace this cast...
  13. IPDQKWID

San-tee in horizontal position (on side)

Thank you for the info Wayne. About 8" over to the right is the drain with vent take-off
  14. IPDQKWID

San-tee in horizontal position (on side)

Hi, I am plumbing an addition with a laundry room, and am putting in a vent loop like I have seen depicted here many times. I've heard and read how sanitary tees shouldn't receive flow from above. But how about from the side? The image here has the standpipe to the left, and to the right in...
  15. IPDQKWID

Question on adequate toilet venting

I take it that is what the 'note' in the vent sizing table is for - not to be used as venting a water closet. Thank you, I'll go 2" - gosh there's a lot of misinformation online regarding the "1/2 the diameter of the drain pipe" statement in the code.
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks