Recent content by Indigo

1. Indigo

Weil-McLain WM97+ - Leaking Clean Water from Internal Expansion Tank

Title says it all -- ~6 year old WM97+ with the domestic hot water kit add-on. Operation appears to be normal except that it's started leaking a pretty healthy amount of water from the internal expansion tank. What has me quite confused is that it's crystal clear water -- this is in a house...
  2. Indigo

Main Water Line Basement Entrance - Does this look OK?

Do you happen to have a link to the tape?
  3. Indigo

Based on that (who would have thought local government was putting out useful information) I think it's lead, which is not a surprise given the age of the house. The solder bulb is the giveaway, I'll give it a gentle scratch at some point
  4. Indigo

I've attached a picture of where my main municipal water line enters my basement through the floor. I don't have any problems with it, but until recently the hole was sealed by some packed in rags covered in spray foam... this was not great to look at so I figured I would investigate. I believe...
  5. Indigo

WeilMcLain WM97+ - Temp Rise Too Quickly Lockout

I totally get what you're saying -- and I'm absolutely not touching anything without the contractor's blessing. The pre and post pump times seemed unlikely to do any damage, and I reset them back to the way they were originally after concluding it was doing nothing. What I'm looking for is...
  6. Indigo

WeilMcLain WM97+ - Temp Rise Too Quickly Lockout

Hello - had a WM97+ installed this past fall along with its paired AquaLogic DHW indirect heater. Issue I am having is that when transitioning from making dhw to then heating the house (single zone) it is locking out with return water registering as hotter than supply water. This issue seems...
  7. Indigo

Nat. Gas Boiler Selection

Thanks for the info. I'm pretty confident that the AquaLogic will cut it -- we have 1 shower and 1 tub/shower -- the latter of which has been used a handful of times. That said, the AquaLogic is capable of filling a tub, right?
  8. Indigo

Nat. Gas Boiler Selection

Looking to replace a ~30 year old boiler with a new one with domestic hot water. Caveat: has to be a direct vent unit as I would otherwise need to reline the chimney. I've gotten bids on the following units -- the pricing for all has come in around the same +/- 1) Weil-McLain ECO with a 45...
  9. Indigo

Attic Insulation with a new roof

Do you by any chance know of a resource where I might find detail drawings for things like dormers with the additional roofline thickness?
  10. Indigo

Another thought I've had, something like this: http://www.raycore.com/images/vented-sip-panel.png (Ignore that the picture is a SIP panel) In this case it would be, existing insulation remains, seal over current decking, furring to create an air gap, new ply or osb over the whole thing...
  11. Indigo

Ok, 3" seems a bit more reasonable, I'm not entirely sure what's in the bays at the moment, I'll check over the weekend. A question though, how does this change the fascia profile? Seems like it's going to involve a fair bit of construction to make it work. Something like this...
  12. Indigo

Dana strikes again :-) Thank you for the insight into the complete reason behind roof ventilation and why it's now a concern once the slate is removed. I like the EPS foam option, namely that it keeps me out of the crawlspaces, but 5" is quite a bit and I'm wondering how complicated that...
  13. Indigo

I agree -- which is why I'm looking to remove the insulation from the rafter bays when the new roof goes on. I think the insulation in the bays was vaguely acceptable with the slate as air was moving through the roof pretty readily, thereby preserving the decking.
  14. Indigo

Unfortunately, nope, not in the budget. A) It's a big roof B) Anything but asphalt or slate is very rare around here. The slate has lasted 90+ years which, as I understand it, is the anticipated lifetime of this particular variety. I'd love to replace it with new slate, but that's not going...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks