Recent content by Ilavey

1. Ilavey

Oversized boiler, extremely high heating bills

It's a Weil-McLain WGO-7 Gold Oil Boiler. My main concern in the immediate term is getting the correct sized zone installed in the basement. It seems like someone not doing the work to properly size the new zone and then wanting to size the replacement boiler based on the linear feet of...
  2. Ilavey

Realize it's been a long time since I last posted about this but wanted to give an update and see if I could get some advice. This past summer a supply line to our toilet burst and ruined our ceiling in the basement. We've had to tear this out and so it seems like it might be the right time to...
  3. Ilavey

I'll definitely take a look at running my Manual-J load calculations. Considering the age of my AC, I'd like to be prepared incase I need to replace in the near future. I'm usually pretty good at finding my way around Google, but I've yet to come across anyone in the Indianapolis area that...
  4. Ilavey

Thank you very much for your continued responses. These are very helpful. I've started digging into the resources you suggested as well. That makes sense on the heat purge economizer and the desire to increase the max burn time. JohnCT above also suggested downsizing the firing rate. It looks...
  5. Ilavey

Thank you very much! This is super helpful and insightful! This was the 99% heat load, however I did find an error in how I was calculating gallons of oil consumed during this period. I adjusted this and it brought the 99% heat load to ~77k BTU/hr with the 1.4x oversize factor bringing it to...
  6. Ilavey

It's still at that 165* it has been sitting at. Is there somewhere on these devices that I should be able to see what outside temperature it adjusts at? Really appreciate your continued help with this!
  7. Ilavey

I was able to find it. It is set to 180*. Does this mean it should be operating at 180*? It seems to only heat up to the ~165* listed on the gauge.
  8. Ilavey

I remember my HVAC technician making a comment about the honeywell device utilizing some type of temperature from outdoors. This is set to 135*. The boiler seems to stay at a consistent ~165*. Is that the high limit temperature?
  9. Ilavey

Is the file I uploaded what you're referring to as the minimum fire rate? If so, it seems like there is an opportunity to reduce the firing rate a little, but not a lot. I had run the calculation for the BTU requirements for the house based on a few other threads I saw on this forum and came...
  10. Ilavey

Thank you very much for the response! I had never timed it previously, but the runs were still infrequent and very short. Boiler is Weil McClain GO7 3 Series It runs at about 165 degrees Fahrenheit I added some pictures to this thread. The boiler is actually offline at the moment as they...
  11. Ilavey

I should also add that we are having gas run to the house as part of a kitchen remodel we are currently doing.
  12. Ilavey

Hey All, We recently moved to Indianapolis, IN and bought a house built in 1960. We had been warned by the previous owners that the heating bills were very high (+$700/month), but the house was priced to sell and we were in love with the mid century architecture, so we pounced. We wanted to get...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks