Recent content by iamjcl

1. I

New 1HP well pump: Do I need a Control Box with both RUN and START capacitors ?

I would like to get the Run cap box - but is it fine to use a Franklin Run-cap 1hp box with a Grundfos 1hp motor ? That's what I'm not clear on. Grundfos doesn't make a 2 capacitor box for 1hp - only 1.5 and up.
  2. I

Thanks for the info - with the cost of the motor/pump, I just want to use the best box period - the difference in cost between boxes is minimal. I also don't want to possibly shorten the motor's life or anything - Maybe it would be best to just use the basic Grundfos "1HP" box, I just don't...
  3. I

I'm replacing my 2HP submersible pump/motor/control box with a 1HP for a geothermal HVAC system, in order to reduce power consumption (1/2 the HP, but also 1/2 the pressure - I'll have to use a booster pump for irrigation now...) Anyway, the Grundfos motor / pump-end only has a...
  4. I

Pressure -vs- Flow rate ?

Well I'll tell you exactly - I ordered an electronic counter (to go with my hour-meter). As soon as I get it wired in, I'll post back.
  5. I

Thanks, Valveman So I guess its the motor that fails, not so much the wet-end? It seems that the wet-end can pump continuously for 15 years, so I guess impeller wear is not a factor, pretty much. Maybe I can work a deal with the local well man to give me some credit for an almost-new...
  6. I

Don't know if the guy who put it in had any clue, but he made a big deal about the goulds wet-end having a brass impeller. Don't know if matters even, fwiw.
  7. I

Well, I understand the point about cycling causing shortened pump / motor life, but I have the "old" pump / motor that was taken out when the new 2HP went in (old was 2hp also). The date code is 1991 - that is when the well was originally done. So, maybe I've been lucky, but I've no...
  8. I

Thanks for bearing with the slow understanding, Valveman. It is slowly sinking in I think. Related to your example of needing only 1 or 2 PSI to push 2 gpm through 100' of 1/2" pipe, I presume that means you could push 10 gpm through the same 100' of 1/2" pipe with, say, 20 psi ? So...
  9. I

Stemming from another thread on geothermal HVAC units: I'm not understanding the basics here. You have a 1/2" pipe. You have 60psi of pressure on this pipe. You WANT 2 GPM flow rate. By definition, its going to take 1 minute to get 2 gallons through the pipe. How does...
  10. I

Well modifications for Geothermal

Thanks for the suggestions - I'd say its often more than 90 degrees, but not that often is it much above 95. That said, the house is fairly large, has high ceilings, has air infiltration levels higher than I'd like (working on that), and is less-insulated than I'd like. No doubt that...
  11. I

Its starting to make sense now. So the pressure tank is creating a "load" on the well pump? I guess it is pushing against the bladder, much like pushing the water even farther uphill than the 120' depth? So going with a smaller pump, regulating the flow somehow (cyclestop valves maybe, or...
  12. I

Valveman, Thanks for the response - pardon my inexperience and or ignorance. The pipe friction / loss is me assuming that the water running up to the top floor (30' above ground level, on top of the 120' from the well water surface), all around a fairly large house, and then out the other...
  13. I

Valveman, Thanks for taking the time to comment. I think the pump is a 2HP unit (franklin motor / controller, goulds wet-end). It seems to me that the pump being over-sized (for 1 or 2 units running at the same time, anyway) is mitigated by the expansion tank, correct? In other...
  14. I

I may well be wrong here also, but I think most EER specs for air / air units are stated for 95 degree ambient outside temp. I know my Mitsubishi mini-split is spec'd at that temperature. Even here, where its hot, it is not that often above 95 (at least in the shade - where my...
  15. I

Just a little bit of info to add to this thread, as well as an invitation to correct my thinking or improve my system's efficiency: I've got 4 FHP geothermal units running in my home in south Georgia. Open loop, with a freshly-replaced pump / motor, pulling water from around 120', into a...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks