Recent content by hoffmand

1. hoffmand

Washing machine & laundry sink venting

Thanks, Terry. I wanted to do a sanity check, just in case.
  2. hoffmand

Washing machine & laundry sink venting

We've just added a sink to our laundry room. The finished setup is the same as Terry's diagram below, but without the extra vent for the washer. The plumber insisted this was not required for code (Texas) since the 2" drain/vent was big enough such that the drain from the sink would not affect...
  3. hoffmand

1-1/4" PEX, is a DIY install possible?

Yes, whichever comes first, gallons or days.
  4. hoffmand

According to the manual, the Autotrol 768 has 3 salt does settings, 3lbs/cuf, 9lbs/cuft, 15lbs/cuft. They call the 3lbs/cuft the "high efficiency mode". With 3 cuft of resin that gives you capacities of 44k, 75k, and 90k respectively. When I enter in 12gpg hardness it calculates how many...
  5. hoffmand

I liked it better when we were talking about water softeners....
  6. hoffmand

Thanks BTW, I have even more respect for you guys who have done this with older plumbing or no loops. It took an hour or two to get everything situated and my install is about as simple as it gets. Dave
  7. hoffmand

Thanks guys. Even though it's just an insulating jacket, the SS does look nice. I'm paronaoid about potential leaks so I'll force a regen tonight after everyone goes to sleep. Is there any reason to do the first regeneration on a higher salt setting? Or is it fine to leave it on the...
  8. hoffmand

Turns out the manager of the company that plumbed my house is a good friend of my neighbor and they also carry softeners. I asked him to crimp on some fittings to my PEX and this is what I ended up with: It's a 3cuft unit with an Autotrol 268/760 and 1-1/4" bypass valve. Our loop had the...
  9. hoffmand

You're right, brass is probably the way to go. My new plan was to use 1" brass ball valves and 1" Falcon stainless lines, but according to their site those falcon lines are $35/ea. Wow.
  10. hoffmand

I will have the softener there before I have a plumber come out. It won't cost much more to have him plumb the softener vs just crimping on the female adapters. If I'm going to use PVC for the pipes connecting the softener, I would want PVC adapters hooked on to the PEX rather than brass...
  11. hoffmand

Thanks for the help everyone. Turns out that tools for 1-1/4 PEX are not something the smaller plumbers in my area typically have. They all recommended going back to the company that plumbed our house when it was built last year since they obviously have the tools. The ironic part about this...
  12. hoffmand

Even if we never add some hard water back in, it will make her less resistant to know it can be adjusted back a little. Do i need to plan for that during my plumbing work, or is that handled with the bypass valve?
  13. hoffmand

Thanks. Can you "trick" the softener into not softening down to 1gpg at first?
  14. hoffmand

I mentioned 10gpg not being very hard because I see people with well water posting 20-30+ gpg. I'll give you a call to go over the specifics, but we don't have any crazy showers, just regular single-head, flow restricted showers. We do use the bathtubs for the kids so the most water we'd...
  15. hoffmand

Peak or average flow rate? (sorry, still learning....)
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks