Recent content by Ho333ard

1. Ho333ard

Trying to help a friend with a running A.S. toilet

Never seen a design like this before. Searched the heck out of google and goole images and can't find any visuals. It's an American Standard toilet. No idea which model. Water fill doesn't shut off completely. It may be 3 years old or so. The valve assembly has a twist knob on top (may be...
  2. Ho333ard

Tips for Flowmastervalve problem?

I replaced the old-style shutoff assembly in one of my toilets with a Flowmaster kit maybe a yearago (maybe a bit more). At some point in recent months it developed a problem by which it fills all the way and then does not shut off. Giving the float piece a little tap does shut it off. Is this...
  3. Ho333ard

Can't budge old moen handles/skirts

It's always the easy stuff that stops you in your tracks. I have to remove the handles and skirts from a shower faucet set to remodel, and I can't budge 'em. It's old Moen stuff, superficially like this: But with solid metal handles held on with a recessed allen screw towards the base (and...
  4. Ho333ard

Toto toilet-- replace gasket?

OK, I found what I think may have come with the seat-- it's two long hex-head machine screws, two green anchors, and two thick but flat rubber grommets that look exactly like the ones that are used for tank bolts. Or maybe this isn't what I'm looking for . . . To further complicate , or at...
  5. Ho333ard

Thanks! No plumber, it was all me-- I'll dig around and see if I still have those. I generally never throw anything away, for better or worse . . . So, the toilet can be lifted off, and put back, and won't leak?
  6. Ho333ard

I hate to declare design flaw in something that has so much good design . . . but the seat bolts have come loose and fallen off, and access to the bolt space is via the rear, and there's so little clearance to the wall that only a child with no forearm bones would have a shot at getting in...
  7. Ho333ard

Anyone in the know about infrared/quartz heat?

Some friends ripped the antique gas space heater out of their basement and now pipes are bursting left and right. They don't want to put it back because it's "not to code". They are thinking about infrared/quartz heat. I am not sure about it because electricity here in Illinois just became...
  8. Ho333ard

Does on have to pull a Toto toilet to tighten the seat bolts?

I have a Toto Carrolton and the seat bolts have come loose. There is only about 3" of clearance between the back of the base and the wall behind. Any tricks for getting in there, or do I really have to pull the toilet just to tighten the bolts? If I do have to pull it, is there any mess...
  9. Ho333ard

Shower mixer leak question

I have an attic shower that's been leaking into the floor below for at least a year. I figured out it's not the drain but appears to leak from the plumbing/faucet when the shower is on. It's a single handle faucet, the kind that pulls to turn on and twists to mix. Is there a most likely cause of...
  10. Ho333ard

HEEEELP! Clogged tub drain

Excellent replies to both of you, thanks. I bought a $10 snake that attaches to a drill-- gave it a good try but ultimately ruined it. Then ruined my better snake. Found a guy to come over (building owner of guy working in hardware store, presented to me as a plumber, but probably not...
  11. Ho333ard

Although . . . I did try with a sturdier snake, and can't seem to access anything but the channel between the drain and the overflow-- can't get into the "real" drain; I can tell by the amount of water it takes to fill from the blockage to the top of the drain that the blockage is pretty far...
  12. Ho333ard

I spent several more hours on it yesterday. I used a large shop vac to try to suck the blockage out-- got some of it but there is still -zero- water flow. It apears to be composed in large part to chunks of tile grout that went down the drain, but I'm not sure. I really need something to bore...
  13. Ho333ard

That's encouraging, thanks. You should program a 'bot to reply "call a plumber" to every post on this forum-- it would save people a lot of typing.
  14. Ho333ard

OK, I'll look for your response tomorrow morning then-- thanks!
  15. Ho333ard

The bathtub is on the second floor of a rental building with an identically configured bathroom above and below. There is no access to a trap anywhere that I can see. This building was remodeled maybe 8 years ago, very unprofessionally. "Call a plumber" is a tall order on Thanksgiving day . . ...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks