Recent content by hans_idle

1. hans_idle

How do I identify this faucet?

The sprayer isn't that heavy (doesn't feel like solid brass). In addition, the flexible braided hoses underneath the faucet are permanently affixed to the faucet. By that I mean I can't replace the braided hoses underneath because they don't come off. They have the standard threaded end to...
  2. hans_idle

How do I identify this faucet?

This is the faucet in my kitchen. It drips, so I'm thinking it needs a new cartridge. The problem is that I have NO idea what brand it is. There is no name on it anywhere. It looks like I'll need one of those vendor-specific wrenches to remove the cartridge. So short of taking the whole...
  3. hans_idle

Toilet keeps loosening from floor

I'll take the nuts off of the bolts and see how badly it rocks. Since there has been some rocking, does it make good sense to remove the toilet and replace the wax ring? My concern would be shifting by the wax ring during rocking. Probably didn't happen, but just curious.
  4. hans_idle

Just answered my own question. Plastic. Pick it up a Lowes.
  5. hans_idle

I'm going to go with the Gremlins. Them and that damn invisible cat that I'm alergic to... I never thought about shiming the toilet. That could very well be the problem. What do you use to shim it? Regular wooden shims, or something plastic?
  6. hans_idle

I'm fairly certain the flange is in solid. I put 4 stainless steel screws down through it into the subfloor, and I drove them in as far as they would go.
  7. hans_idle

I just installed a Toto toilet in my upstairs bath. It is a standard installation and didn't take long. But now I'm having a problem with the toilet. Specifically, after tightening the 2 nuts that hold the toilet to the floor, the toilet is nice tight. But a week or two later, it rocks side...
  8. hans_idle

Need Advice: Repair or replace system

Mort, Forgive my ignorance, but was that an A/C unit AND a furnace, or just the furnace? I didn't quite catch all the terms.
  9. hans_idle

Thanks for the info. I looked up the rebates that the utility company might offer (didn't know they did that), and it looks like I might be able to get a couple hundred from them. The only question I have at this point is how expensive it might get. I'll have to get some contractors over...
  10. hans_idle

Hello everyone. I have a very general question, and of course, there is no right or wrong answer to this. But I'm looking for advice or opinions on my situation. I have a 20 year old house that still has the original furnace and A/C. I'm expecting to have to replace them at any time given...
  11. hans_idle

Getting confused about temp/pressure balancers

Yea, I checked out some more info today. I checked with the actual office staff and found out that the water heater is "supposed" to be set between 120 and 140 deg. Not sure why. I have mine set to approx 123deg (young kids in the house) and don't see a point to setting higher. They will...
  12. hans_idle

Getting confused about temp/pressure balancers

Here's the quick summary of what I'm doing. I'm remodeling a master bath that has BOTH a shower and a separate tub. According to the plumbing inspector here in central NJ, I need to have a thermostatic (not pressure) balancer on BOTH the shower and the tub. 1) Problem #1 - A requirement...
  13. hans_idle

Slow tub drain?

No, the water doesn't accumulate when taking a shower, but it's a low-flow shower head and I take short showers. Maybe I'll try some of the organic desolvers in the trap to see if that improves it. Now that I think about it, there was a lot of crud in the pipes when I removed them for my...
  14. hans_idle

Air injection tubs - good or bad?

I just purchased one from BainUltra. I, too, did some research on these tubes, but mainly from an installation viewpoint. BainUltra apparently is the leader in the market, or they invented it, or something like that (the wife did all the product research, I just install it). The one that...
  15. hans_idle

Slow tub drain?

I have a standard 5' tub/shower in on of my bathrooms. When taking a shower, there are no drainage issues with a 2.5gallon/minute shower head. When someone takes a bath, however, the water takes a while to drain, or so it seems. The water comes in through a 1/2" pipe at 5 gallons per...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks