Recent content by Guy in DC

1. Guy in DC

help with Unico high velocity AC

Hello, My 11YO Unico (indoor)-Rheem (outdoor) high velocity system needs to be replaced. The Unico coil leaks, so I consider changing both indoor and outdoor units. I am getting quotes and I am overwhelmed. More I read – I am more puzzled, so your comment would be appreciated. First contractor...
  2. Guy in DC

pressure issue with a newly installed boiler

Thanks again John and Fitter30. I replaced the expansion tank for EX90 and no pressure issue anymore. When the system is cold, the pressure is 14psi, when reaches 180F, the pressure increases 20-22 psi.
  3. Guy in DC

Hi Fitter, There is no old parts that I can find. However, the system was alternated: the cast iron pipe are around 3.5 inch diameters, which were cut and connected to 1 inch copper connected from/to a boiler. Anyway, I ordered much larger tank...
  4. Guy in DC

I looked at the ceiling and there is no marks and I doubt it was patched since the ceiling looks intact. Maybe it was located on the floor?
  5. Guy in DC

Thank you very much John!
  6. Guy in DC

Thank you! I wouldn't worry much about the pipe bursting then.
  7. Guy in DC

John, if you refer to the pressure relief valve opening I described in the old post, it was a different issue: the autofill valve was broken. Would you advise to change the extension tank for a larger then? Also, someone told me that the entire system was not properly vented so I might have...
  8. Guy in DC

I am looking at the old boiler: the tank and the pump were installed in a return pipe. Does it make a difference for the size of the expansion tank?
  9. Guy in DC

It was a 2G tank. The previous boiler (with pictures are in this post https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/a-hot-water-radiator-system-plumber-in-washington-dc-area.85119/ I think that the boiler was max 150-160K BTU. It was installed in the house early 90. The new one is smaller...
  10. Guy in DC

Thank Fitter30. Previously I had EX-15 2G and it worked fine. However, as John suggested, it was a different configuration and the pump was smaller.
  11. Guy in DC

Thanks John. I will go for a slightly larger tank allowing more space when expands. I've just called Amtrak and the tech calculated the proper tank - they recommend EX90. You mentioned - Would it hurt the system and the pipes if the pressure is continuously high (meaning around 25 psi). Coming...
  12. Guy in DC

Neither indirect or coil. Before, the expansion tank was at the return size, if it is matter. the pump was directly mounted on the boiler supply. For the the expansion tank: I can change from #30 to #60. However, I am confused about the maximum acceptance volume...
  13. Guy in DC

John, one more question: In my house, the upper most radiator is 20 feet above the boiler, should the expansion tank be charged to 20ft x 0.433 = 8.66 psi and add around 5 psi so targeted around 14 psi?
  14. Guy in DC

I thought about it and will do as suggested.
  15. Guy in DC

I don't know exactly what the system volume could be. I assume based on large cast iron radiators, pipes, around 200 gallons. Before replacing the boiler, the expansion tank was #15 (and I changed to #30) and it worked fine. The pressure was 12 psi when cold and ~20 psi when 170F.
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks