Recent content by gplumb

1. gplumb

A/C Condenser Anti-vibration Isolation Pads

The cork isolation pads under my A/C condenser unit have disintegrated. I am looking for a replacement. The DiversiTech MP-3E (3" X 3" X 7/8") looks good since it doesn't have a cork core. PexSupply sells 4 for 3.96 but the shipping is 11.61. Any suggestions for another pad suitable for outdoor...
  2. gplumb

Any opinion on Goodman heat pumps?

Goodman SSZ16 heat pumps come with 10 year Parts and Lifetime Compressor Limited Warranties. If I go for the higher end DSZ16 which has a two stage Copeland compressor, two speed fan plus other features such as built-in diagnostic circuitry, the compressor warranty becomes a Unit Replacement...
  3. gplumb

Any opinion on Goodman heat pumps?

A contractor has proposed Goodman 2 ton and 4 ton 16 SEER SSZ16 heat pumps for a friends house. I know the question of how good the Goodman units are has been asked before: they are low end units, the thickness of the sheet metal may not be as great as the better known brand unit, but the parts...
  4. gplumb

How to increase flush on Kohler Class Five Toilet?

Now you're talking. My wife's rule would be 1.6 small cookies per trip. Really, is this enough? This will take several trips!
  5. gplumb

I haven't had any problem with this toilet and it does it's job well. My idea is simply to come up with a mod to make use of the water that's there in one flush rather than have to hold the lever down or press the lever a second time to release the balance of water that is still in the tank. I...
  6. gplumb

True, but new clean flush water that powers the flush is still just 1 gal and there's closer to an additional 1 gal in the tank that could be used.
  7. gplumb

Thanks, but the 1.6 toilet only releases approximately 1 gal on a "push and release". I'm exploring if there is a mod so a "push and release" would push more water without the "hold". The water saving comes from the paltry amount of water released unless you hold the lever down. I think people...
  8. gplumb

My Kohler Highline Class Five 1.6 gal toilet (K-3611) flushes with approximately 1 gal of water when the lever is pressed and released immediately. This leaves 1 gal of water in the tank so you can flush a second time or hold down the lever on the first flush to get more "flush". These are...
  9. gplumb

How best to dehumidify basement?

Dana, The above URL didn't work for some reason. I want to thank you for all the help you have provided in steering me through the myriad of information out there on insulation. This forum is a great resource. I'm now ready to go ahead with the basement project. By the way, I'm impressed...
  10. gplumb

The Dow Styrofoam Weathermate (http://www.dow.com/PublishedLiterature/dh_006a/0901b8038006a1b3.pdf?filepath=styrofoam/pdfs/noreg/179-07173.pdf&fromPage=GetDoc) is a non-insulating Housewrap. The OSB would be the only insulating factor between the brick and the interior 2X6 stud wall. Who makes...
  11. gplumb

What do you mean by putting R5 on stud wall? From the Oak Ridge calculator, it looks like they were specifying that R5 goes on the exterior if the siding was removed and there is an "empty wall". My walk-out basement wall is (from outside) brick, Dow Weathermate Plus Styrofoam Housewrap, 1/2"...
  12. gplumb

Dana, My zip is 27106. The concrete floor had heavy polyethylene under it before it was poured so I imagine that does retard moisture vapor somewhat.
  13. gplumb

jadnashua, Yes I don't want to cool the already cool-enough air. My dealer says it would cool a few addtitional degrees until the dehumidification cycle was finished. I found a Lennox whole home dehumidification system that has a reheat capability. But to add this in addition to the heat pump...
  14. gplumb

Dana, Your information and perspective are a great help. There is a lot more to this than I ever imagined and apparently the approach to insulation has changed in recent years because of mold problems. The buildingscience.com links are good references and I will follow their insulation...
  15. gplumb

In finishing my basement I am planning to install a heat pump. My dealer proposes a Trane 1.5 ton heat pump with a variable speed air handler that would enhance dehumidification also. The system would use a Trane Comfort Control thermostat that also senses humidity and has dehumidification...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks