Recent content by Gordan

1. Gordan

What's the best way to insulate copper pipes?

I don't know, Dominic. I've seen Dana weigh in on a number of issues on a number of occasions, always in a helpful manner. I can't say the same of you - you appear to have just joined. In my eyes, he certainly has vastly more credibility of the two of you. But I guess if you say it, it must be...
  2. Gordan

Drain options when replacing an existing tub with a longer one (longer trap arm)?

Where do you get the maximum for trap arm length? IPC says 6' for 1 1/2" drains. (This is at the mandated 1/4" per foot minimum slope.)
  3. Gordan

Bathroom sink plumbing question (very basic)

Not sure what you mean by "getting water out of the attachment to the sink drain." Do you mean where the sink tailpiece goes into the trap? If so, there should be a little plastic compression ring under that compression nut. If there isn't, it will leak. Your drain should be water tight no...
  4. Gordan

Preventing corrosion with no-hub couplings on cast iron

What I wound up doing is cut off the affected cast iron section nice and square, and coated the inside of the coupling with plumber's grease before pushing the center stop nice and tight against the end of the cast iron. Hopefully that'll at least minimize the penetration of water into any...
  5. Gordan

I'd certainly like to believe so, but I was taken aback when the cast iron crumbled under my fingers. I guess I'll chalk it up to the handyman joint that was in place. Crevice corrosion is a real phenomenon, and the speed and degree of damage it causes can be pretty stunning. I had no idea...
  6. Gordan

Thanks, Jim; I'm already planning to do that. My question had to do with sealing the rib of the coupling to the face of the cast iron pipe in order to prevent stagnant water pooling in the crack and causing crevice corrosion. As in, is it likely to help, make no difference, or make things worse...
  7. Gordan

Wheelchair access and which Toto toilet model would work

The biggest issue with those is likely to be whether there's anything running through the wall behind the toilet that would prevent its installation. The more things you move around, the more it'll cost. One thing you would definitely need to move is the drain. The closet flange on the floor...
  8. Gordan

Wheelchair access and which Toto toilet model would work

If you're in the middle of a large remodel and modifying the plumbing is not out of scope, you might want to look at a wall-mounted toilet with a concealed tank such as a CWT418FG. They stick out about 21" from the back wall, and you can adjust the bowl height to be anywhere from about 15" to...
  9. Gordan

Dismantled a botched PVC-to-cast iron joint that had a 3" PVC pipe inserted about 8" into a 4" cast iron pipe (not hub, but the pipe itself), and then a Fernco rubber boot over the whole kit'n'kaboodle. The end of the cast iron pipe is pretty badly corroded in places, so much so that I could...
  10. Gordan

Main Vent Stack

Yes, tying together branch vents is A-OK. Just don't create any traps in your vent runs where water could collect without being able to drain into some drain somewhere.
  11. Gordan

Wall hung toilets - does anyone actually know how to plumb them?

Thank you, Doug! It figures that Toto would put this information in their owner's manual rather than in their installation manual. Thank you for pointing me in the right direction! And thank you, HJ, for providing the big picture. It's most helpful!
  12. Gordan

Wall hung toilets - does anyone actually know how to plumb them?

I get that these are sort of a specialty item, at least in the residential market. But come on. Even Toto technical support could not provide information about the plumbing requirements for the CT-418FG. The guy was saying, "well, every picture I've seen has the outlet discharging straight...
  13. Gordan

Interpreting IPC cleanout requirements

Thanks, CC! I am not a lawyer, but the language still seems like it's left too open to interpretation to me. In other words, kind of sloppy. A strict reading would seem to me to suggest that a cleanout is required at the start AND at the first turn, though the latter would not seem to have a...
  14. Gordan

Interpreting IPC cleanout requirements

The code states that a cleanout is required at the start of every horizontal branch and at 100' intervals thereafter. It also states that a cleanout is required at a 45 degree or greater change in direction, but a single cleanout is sufficient for multiple changes in direction as long as they...
  15. Gordan

Toto Aquia Wall-Hung

I'm about to do the same, and I've got some questions regarding the best way to configure the plumbing rough-in. The outlet bend could go vertically into the floor, where there would be a 90 transitioning to a horizontal, or I could angle it 45 degrees and transition to horizontal under the...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks