Recent content by GoldenDaze

1. GoldenDaze

Rheem Water Heater - "normal" sediment or defective water heater?

Result: All 6 of the flakes were barely recognizable this morning. When I gently touched them with my finger, they dissolved so I can only conclude that the city worker is correct and those flakes are calcium; guessing glass wouldn't dissipate like that. Perhaps the buildup in SW Florida has...
  2. GoldenDaze

Sorry, I didn't realize there was a page 2 here. I believe the anode is a separate access point; I'd have to cut out some foam sealant to get to it. There's another access area almost out to the (top) edge, but the guy who installed the WH blocked access to that one and aligned it directly under...
  3. GoldenDaze

Did the power flush yesterday, 03/17/19. A rep from the city water came out to house today. He claims any nearby broken water main and related repair would NOT be causing these issues.... the incoming water from city is clear. His opinion is that the remaining debris being captured in the...
  4. GoldenDaze

Update: Removed all aerators from faucets, blew compressed air through the kitchen supply lines, removed kitchen faucet spray head and soaked it and shower heads in white vinegar. There is free flow of water/pressure through the kitchen supply lines at this point. I just remembered that there...
  5. GoldenDaze

@phog Appreciate the explanation on heat traps! Another opinion I got elsewhere last night suggested a possible disintegrating dip tube (but the water heater is barely 3 yrs. old). Kicking myself I didn't save the debris so I could see if it melted. Right now, I hoping it's just sediment and am...
  6. GoldenDaze

@phog Isn't the heat trap in the hot water tank, not the supply lines/shut off valves? The stuff in the pic with the blue background (bucket) was purged from the hot water shut off valve to the kitchen faucet today.
  7. GoldenDaze

Mouth... I didn't have to plug anything in and wait, lol. Hmm, maybe I should try the compressor though and see if that clears the line. Sorry, but heat traps and check valves are over my DIY experience thus far. Just trying to figure out what it's going to take to cure all of this.
  8. GoldenDaze

@Reach4 Thanks, now I know what the shards are. So how is it determined, by time or amount of debris when draining, as to when to replace the anode rod? @phog Are you suggesting the heat trap fittings are somehow causing the accumulation of the debris in the hot water supply lines and...
  9. GoldenDaze

I tried the power flush 5 times but when empty though and only left the water on 3 seconds each time - not 20 seconds. The wand idea sounds possible as long as I coordinate it with my wet/dry vac. These are all treating the symptoms though... I would love to know what is "causing" the debris...
  10. GoldenDaze

Thanks, I followed all those steps except to say my hot water heater timer was manually set to "off" before I started. I have yet to turn it back on until I resolve this. I repeated steps 3 and 4 for *five* times... the water is still murky looking (kinda sand color) - not clear. I have not even...
  11. GoldenDaze

BTW, the shut off valves to the kitchen sink were replaced maybe 3 yrs. ago. I flushed them out with the irrigation flex pipe. The pic with the blue background (bucket) is the crap that came out of the hot water valve. The same crap that was in the kitchen supply valve is being trapped by the...
  12. GoldenDaze

Re: Rheem Model #XE50M06ST45U1 Three years new; drained for the first time yesterday and replaced the plastic drain valve with a brass full port valve (original valve plugged up). Noticed no/limited water flow to 3 faucets so I cleaned aerators. Still no flow to kitchen faucet so I removed both...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks