Recent content by Geran

1. Geran

How to move studs to fit tub/shower valve?

There are no drains above this combination in this wall. I will fix it with a sanitary tee as suggested (something like this). There is no vent on the other side of the wall for this sink drain. Thank you @wwhitney and @Terry for this suggestion, I would have never known that. Thankfully none of...
  2. Geran

Can you explain this a little more? This is what connects the master bathroom sink to the house drain.
  3. Geran

Hi, My wife and I are renovating our spare bathroom and demoing part of the walls where the old tub/shower was. This is the wall that the old tub/shower valve was on. One stud is burned really bad from someone trying to solder there and there is an electrical wire running through the wall to a...
  4. Geran

Best thin basement subfloor?

Dana, Thank you for the explanation. I found one of your older post in a thread of mine that said going thinner than R-3 for the insulation could increases the mold risk to the subfloor. With this in mind and wanting to keep the height of the subfloor assembly around 1 3/8", I found some...
  5. Geran

Yes the 1.5" budget was just from the slab to the top of the subfloor. I figured if the doors become an issue, I can trim the bottom of the doors to make them fit instead of going with 1/2" EPS + a double-thickness of half-inch sheathing. I am curious though with the 1/2" EPS + a...
  6. Geran

Understood. So my plan of 3/4" foamboard and 3/4" subfloor (with 6mil poly) would be fine then for both carpet and tile then? Or would 1" of foam and 1/2" for subfloor be better?
  7. Geran

Not really an issue, just seen too many bad installations (mold growth mainly) of it to the point it makes me nervous to install it correctly.
  8. Geran

Interesting, I am trying to figure out the same thing for my basement. I have 1.5" of height (using tile in front of basement door, bathroom and laundry room; all others are getting carpet) and I'm trying to decide the best way to insulate the top of the basement floor without using 6mil plastic.
  9. Geran

2x4 roof truss insulation

If it wasn't so long that I would need a new roof, I would definitely be interested in doing the insulation on top. It doesn't help either that I have solar panels installed too so getting a new roof is going to be interesting.
  10. Geran

Yes all vents would be removed. Another reason why I'm trying to figure out which way to go because I need to replace/repair the soffit vents and if I go with spray foam I don't want to install vented soffits and then have to replace them later.
  11. Geran

My current roof isn't even 10yrs old so it will probably be another few years. How is it safer exactly? All of this makes sense. I trying to figure out the best way to not have to put insulation on the floor of my attic if I don't have to since the quotes I got for doing it this way range from...
  12. Geran

Hi all, I have a home built in 1979/1980 with 2x4 roof trusses. I am wondering how would you go about insulating the underside of the roof. Looking at BSI-100: Hybrid Assemblies from BuildingScience, I am assuming Figure 6 would be the best option with R-15 closed-cell, and the rest being...
  13. Geran

Garage wall insulation

Understood for question 2 & 3. For question #1: if I get it from here (https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/doc/mad/d/mechanicsville-factory-seconds-of/6931089232.html) at 2" foil faced, in theory I wouldn't need the rockwool insulation since it would be continuous R-13 if I read the code and...
  14. Geran

Garage wall insulation

First thing I want to do is say thank you for all your help on my post and it has really helped me make my decision. Thank you for the video on cutting foam board, that looks so much easier than using a handsaw. After much deliberation and talking with the wife (showing her the cost of...
  15. Geran

Garage wall insulation

Understood. I can install the foam board in most places and areas where I can't, I might try and do this: This should work for places where I can't slide the foam in and would require me to cut it to fit it behind the studs.
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks