Recent content by GatorKenD

1. GatorKenD

3" drain ok for bathroom addition & gas water heater question?

This illustration will give you a better idea of what I had in mind. The area I have designated for the bathroom will be part of a new slab. Because of the location where the cleanout is (circled) and the access to hot and cold water supply above-slab (at the water heater). I think plumbing...
  2. GatorKenD

miscommunication is mine... the footprint of the building is 42' x 7'. I'm going to make it 9' deeper, i.e., 42' x 16'. The 3" cleanout comes out on the backside of the building where I have the new slab installed.
  3. GatorKenD

The building is only 7' deep, so my plan make the poured concrete foundation about 9' deeper. I'm thinking I can tie the new drain pipes into the 3" clean-out marked in the drawing. That'll give me the opportunity to place the new drains before new concrete is poured. Because of the location...
  4. GatorKenD

Hi all - I have an unfinished detached building behind my house that used to be the laundry room. It is currently where our gas hot water heater, well equip and pool equipment reside. I want to move the well and pool equipment and convert the space into heated and cooled living space (bedroom...
  5. GatorKenD

Installing shower head far from valve

Hey Jim - I will slope the entire floor. That not being reflected in that drawing is a limitation of my skills in Sketchup. I'm going to use a Schluter pre-sloped pan and linear drain assembly for the first 48" from the drain and deck mud to carry that same 2% slope for the remaining 30-ish...
  6. GatorKenD

Hi Jim - thanks for your feedback. Most (but not all!) are all things I considered. The rationale for the splitting the valve and the head is in this 7' x 4' shower (w/ no door), I didn't want to have to walk in to the point you'd get wet when turning the shower on. I suppose you could have...
  7. GatorKenD

Terry - thanks for jumping in there! I didn't know there was more volume on the tub port. I'll take advantage of that.
  8. GatorKenD

Hi all - I want to install my Moen 2590 shower valve on the back wall of my shower and my shower head on the front wall of the shower (7' away). There's no tub spout; this is a shower only. I'm guessing that Moen's precise instructions regarding placement distances are related to backpressure...
  9. GatorKenD

Vanity vent question

I'm probably answering my own question, but thought I'd put this out there before making extra work for myself. Doing a bathroom remodel. All the plumbing is exposed. I have a horizontal vent branch for the vanity that is 39.5" above the floor. The old vanity was 36" high. As I understand...
  10. GatorKenD

Bathtub Recommendations For Remodel

fwiw... here's the spec sheet on that tub. the bottom of the tub does not get much smaller than the top of the tub and it's got an inside shape that gets wider right about where your hips are when soaking... not to suggest you need more room where your hips are!! ;-)...
  11. GatorKenD

Bathtub Recommendations For Remodel

I just pitched a Kohler Villager on another thread and I'll do it here, too. At 320# my wife and I were able to wheel it into the bathroom on a furniture dolly. After that, I was able to install it on my own. It's only 14" tall and I was a little concerned that it would feel small, but it...
  12. GatorKenD

Installation Cost For Cast Iron Tub Vs. Acrylic

I did a bathroom remodel last year and put in the Kohler Villager tub. 60x30 alcove and 320#. It's been 9 months and still think every day, I'm glad went with a cast iron tub! That tub is a bargain, too. [now I to took a 400# sunken jacuzzi tub out of the master bath during demo last...
  13. GatorKenD

Curbless Shower Question

Hi all - I've started a bathroom remodel. Demo is done. I've taken out a sunken jacuzzi tub and I want to replace it with a curbless shower. I'm off to a good (lucky?) start: the drain for the tub was already 2" and the recess in the poured concrete slab for the old tub was generously sized...
  14. GatorKenD

Options for installing tub/shower valves

Hey HJ - I think that's an illusion because of the camera angle and the depth of the top of the drain. I think these photos put it in perspective. I was surprised the top of drain needed to be that low, but that's where I had to go in order to get my tub drain assembly (Kohler K-7160, right...
  15. GatorKenD

Options for installing tub/shower valves

Just to recap (and simplify) my open questions: I want to install a tub spout, mixing valve and shower head, all right where the vent stack is. 1) I'd like to use 90's, but if I have to put them above the tub rim, it'll make it tough to squeeze the pipe for the tub spout in there (but maybe...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks