Recent content by garycase

1. G

Single element thermostat on dual element heater

Thanks -- that's good to know. I think I'll just go ahead and risk replacing it then in a couple months (when the attic gets tolerable to work in). Might save me the cost of a new heater ... worst case is I have to buy one now instead of in a few months :)
  2. G

Electric Water Heater Brands

There are several notes in a couple of threads that strongly recommend Bradford-White as "the brand" to get for gas water heaters. Is that also true for electric units? If not, what are the best brands for a new electric water heater? A friend recommended either Rheem or...
  3. G

Yes, I'm well aware that effectively I've turned a 50 gal tank into perhaps a 25 gallon tank in terms of the actual amount of hot water, since it's being heated from the middle. But it does seem to be working just fine -- and as I noted we only use the water heater on this side of the house...
  4. G

Update -- and follow-up question Okay, I simply disconnected the two wires that lead from the upper thermostat to the lower thermostat & element and re-applied power to the unit. It now works "perfectly" -- but obviously with only the upper element. Other than the fact that it now has...
  5. G

Replacing the element question Yes, I know the safety controls are on the upper thermostat --my question was simply could I just use a single-element thermostat (which also has the safety switch, etc.). It sounds like the answer is Yes ... but I can also just use a dual-element thermostat...
  6. G

I've determined that the lower element is bad on a 10-year old State water heater (a Franklin, TN model). I plan to replace the heater with a Bradford-White, based on the recommendations here ... but I'd like to wait a few months until the attic temps are more rational (they're in the 100+...
  7. G

Water heater replacement

Brand Recommendations for Electric Heaters Do the comments about r.e. Bradford White & others apply to electric heaters as well? In particular, is there any problem with the electric version sitting in a drain pan?
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks