Recent content by Friolator

1. Friolator

Kohler K-3444 Serif top handle only half-flushing after flapper change

Well, Kohler wasn't especially helpful. They claim not to have spec sheets that list the chain length and float position for the different models, which I find odd (even if they're for internal use - basic manufacturing practice is to have that kind of data around to make assembly more...
  2. Friolator

Thanks. Yeah the issue isn't that the tank isn't emptying - it's that the water that does come out isn't enough to complete the flush, unless you hold the handle up long enough to let more water out of the tank. I'll fiddle with the chain length and float position. Unfortunately, the way this...
  3. Friolator

I have a roughly 20 year old Kohler Serif toilet. This is one of the ones with the handle on top of the tank, rather than the side or front. The toilet has been running persistently, and I narrowed it down to the flapper valve, which was original, and rock hard so not making a good seal. Last...
  4. Friolator

Pressure Drop

So yesterday I drained the whole system, cleaned the threaded fittings and as much of the corrosion on the pipes as I could (with a wire brush, mostly), and attempted to loosen the large nuts on the output and return sides of the boiler. No luck moving them. Tried tapping them, applying heat...
  5. Friolator

Pressure Drop

Email from the thermostat just as I was leaving for home tonight that the temp dropped yet again. The frequency is increasing. So, I guess my afternoon tomorrow is going to be cleaning those pipes, draining the whole system and applying fresh pipe dope to those threaded connections. When I got...
  6. Friolator

Pressure Drop

Another update. Yesterday we woke up to a cold house: 5 degrees below where we normally keep it at night. Went downstairs and checked the pressure gauge on the boiler control panel as well as the dial gauge on the hot water output from the boiler. Both matched: about 4PSI. I saw a little water...
  7. Friolator

Pressure Drop

I've seen no evidence of this happening. That is, when it fails, there's no sign of a puddle on the floor below the pressure valve. In terms of overpressure, I've never seen it go up above 18PSI. It typically operates in the 12-15 range when it's running normally.
  8. Friolator

Pressure Drop

Also - on that corrosion, can I just brush that with some baking soda and water to try to neutralize it, or do I need to be thinking about getting all of this replaced?
  9. Friolator

Pressure Drop

I just went downstairs and took some pictures of the whole system, in case that helps to figure this out. Below the boiler is a styrofoam box, where the circulator pump and pressure/temperature gauges are located. To be honest, I had forgotten the pressure/temp gauges were there, and never...
  10. Friolator

Pressure Drop

the cap on the tank doesn't appear to be loose. I've got a copy of that, and have done a fair bit of work on the boiler myself (replaced the fan unit this past fall after it died, etc). I'll dig through it again but last time I looked it wasn't particularly helpful on this issue. Every fall...
  11. Friolator

Pressure Drop

Ok, so we haven't been around much for the past week or so, but this morning we woke up and it was 5 degrees below where we normally keep it. The thermostat was calling for heat but the boiler was off because the pressure was down to 4. I went downstairs and tapped on the expansion tank, which...
  12. Friolator

Pressure Drop

I didn't know that. I'll give it a try tonight when I get home. Thanks!
  13. Friolator

Pressure Drop

We've had an ongoing issue that I think I've finally narrowed down a bit. Every once in a while, our Buderus GB142 reports water pressure that's too low, and won't come on. Thus, we come home to a cold house, or like this past weekend when we were away, I get an email from the thermostat that...
  14. Friolator

Buderus GB142 - no power

Quick update: The fan arrived on Friday and on Saturday AM, I replaced it. The whole process took about 15 minutes, and when I powered it back on, the fault codes were gone. Heat is back on now. Anyone looking for a dead fan to repair, hit me up! Thanks!
  15. Friolator

Buderus GB142 - no power

Well, that's certainly convenient. I didn't realize that! I spent a couple hours trying to get someone at FW Webb to call me back, since they have locations in and around Boston and came up on google searches for buderus parts. When I finally did talk to someone at their location in South...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks