Recent content by FoxRedLab

1. FoxRedLab

Advice on Plumbing 2500-gal Water Storage Tank into Existing Well System

All the outside faucets will deliver water flow, but only the new one seems to do so without robbing pressure from water fixtures inside the house. The new faucet is installed on the outbuilding that houses the storage tank and jet pump, and comes off a tee between the Pside-Kick and the old...
  2. FoxRedLab

I tested the new outside faucet by running a several-gallon-per-minute flow into the landscape pond while I took a shower. I noticed no loss of pressure in the shower. When I later turned off the outside faucet, the pump pressured the system back to 60 psi and shut off as expected. So, I remain...
  3. FoxRedLab

Duh. I just realized that it would create a worse issue because then I couldn't get water past the backflow preventer into the house! I'm buffaloed. Except for the faucet-pressure issue, though, the new system seems to be performing flawlessly. I will try to prepare some pictures, in case...
  4. FoxRedLab

Nope. In order after well: spin-down filter > storage tank. Then: Storage tank > Jet pump > backflow preventer > CSV > 20" whole-house filter > Old pressure tank. All of the above are in an outbuilding roughly 60-70 feet from the nearest point of the house, and all outside faucets come through...
  5. FoxRedLab

I should have mentioned that the pressure gauge at the old pressure tank also reads 50 psi, so that suggests that the filter between the Pside-Kick and the old pressure tank is not clogged. Besides, it seems unlikely that a brand-new filter would have clogged that quickly, when the water going...
  6. FoxRedLab

Pressure at the pump is 50 psi when the faucet is running. After closing the faucet, the jet pump runs for a couple of minutes until the pressure builds to 60 psi, then shuts off. My neighbor is wondering whether the bladder has failed in my old pressure tank, but that seems inconsistent with...
  7. FoxRedLab

2500-gallon storage tank is filling as intended. For the first 800 gallons or so, I set the water heater switch to the on position; after that, I'll revert to the programmed late-night, off-peak top-offs as called for by the float switch. I now have one night's filling under my belt, and it...
  8. FoxRedLab

I just realized that it wasn't a breaker problem: it was a breaker-installer problem! I used 1-inch Q-type double-pole breakers in my GE distribution panel, but didn't realize that, if you don't stab them in the right position, both poles will be the same phase, instead of pi-out-of-phase, which...
  9. FoxRedLab

Understood. That's the way I did it, but it turns out that wasn't the problem. I either had a bad breaker or the wrong breaker! (Duh--it was bothering me that I could measure 125V at either L1-to-ground or L2-to-ground, but would measure zero between L1 and L2, when I was expecting ~240V!)...
  10. FoxRedLab

I had hoped to complete the conversion from existing configuration (well pump and pressure tank, only) to the new configuration (storage tank filled by well pump, house plumbing pressurized by jet pump drawing from storage tank) before the grandkids descended upon us in early July, but didn't...
  11. FoxRedLab

Tank, pump, and CSV are located in an insulated building (R19 walls, R30 ceiling) adjacent to the well head and about 80 feet from the house. My neighbor has a similar set-up, and the inside of his water building stays at a pretty steady 60 degrees year-round due to the thermal mass of the water...
  12. FoxRedLab

After completing several other projects that interrupted the completion of this one, and after a fair amount of analysis paralysis (over-thinking), I have finally resumed progress on my 2500-gal well-pump-fed storage tank. To push water from the tank to the house, I finally pulled the trigger...
  13. FoxRedLab

Storage Tank Float Switch Control System

At the risk of sounding really dumb, what's the purpose of the 5-gal bucket inside the storage tank?
  14. FoxRedLab

Per Reach4's suggestion, I was thinking that I could use a NO top float to turn off the well pump when the tank is full, and a NO lower float to turn it on when the tank needs to be topped off. My logic is that, when the lower float closes and energizes the relay, I'm immunized against...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks