Recent content by fcrick

1. fcrick

Old basement toilet installation

If it were me, I'd make sure I knew where the vent is in relation to that drain. If it was originally intended to be a backup floor drain or something, the closest vent might be far away, but regardless of the history, it won't flush well and will make funny noises if it doesn't have enough...
  2. fcrick

Some last miscellaneous basement insulation questions

1. I don't think it would make much difference. 2. Mixing and matching should work fine. In Michigan, unless this is a really deep basement, it'll get pretty cold out there even quite far down the wall. Make sure if you use the fiberglass that you remove the vapor barrier, as it'll trap...
  3. fcrick

Getting a wye on a horizontal angled just right

Hi there, I've been putting some drain pipes and fittings together - the specific one I'm working on is a 3" pipe where I'm adding a 3" x 3" x 2" wye fitting that will go off to the lavatory. This pipe will also supply the vent for the toilet as a wet vent. The pipes are in soil under my...
  4. fcrick

Cutting out a wye under my slab

Just got everything tightened up and it all seems to be working so far - thanks for the help. I definitely plan to wet vent the new bathroom, and I'll make a new thread with the details there once I'm a little closer.
  5. fcrick

Water supply from curb to house in San Diego California

Keep in mind pex will degrade in sunlight, so anywhere not buried would need extra protection. I recently had my water line replaced with uponor pex-a (buried 2' down) and it went great with a single pipe running the whole span from the meter and right through a concrete wall to the shutoff...
  6. fcrick

So - one thing I just noticed is that the main 4" CI pipe is actually a little steeper than I expected. Across the 14" span I'm planning to cut, it drops 5/8" or maybe even 11/16", meaning the drop is slightly more than double the standard 1/4" per foot. I think that means that if the double wye...
  7. fcrick

Hi there - was going to make my first cuts into drains actually being used and I figured I would write out my plan here, ensuring a) I have a plan, and b) if I'm about to do something dumb, some nice person here might save me from myself. Sorry if this is a bit long-winded. House is 1959 and...
  8. fcrick

What is all that stuff on this old pipe?

I found if I just tap it lightly with my rotary hammer, it breaks off in big chunks. I was concerned because the broken off pieces look a lot like the cast iron pipe itself, but if I smash them with a hammer they break down into soil. I guess maybe the rust from the pipe gets into the 1/4" of...
  9. fcrick

What is all that stuff on this old pipe?

I'm working on adding a new bathroom in my basement, and I've been revealing under my slab, and I've been finding cast iron pipe with rocks embedded in it - it's real dirty so it's hard to tell. Any idea what this stuff is? Is it a sign of bad things to come? Is it something that was there when...
  10. fcrick

When covid makes you DIY, advice on layout…

Amateur here - would the floor drain need to be upstream of the toilet in a wet vent situation?
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks