Recent content by emd36

1. emd36

Triangle Tube Challenger 105 DHW problem

Does anyone have an idea why the DHW does not seem to sense a call for heat on the TT Challenger? I don't see that there are many installed as the Prestige is a more popular model so I have not seen much posted about problem solving for this unit. I have been using just the hot water loop on...
  2. emd36

Do I need Primary / secondary piping?

You don't need primary/secondary. It is the way most systems are plumbed in the U.S. Your photo is a bit difficult to interpret. It appears that the pump etc. are out of the photo below the boiler. If you have multiple zones, a differential pressure by-pass valve is recommended. I believe that...
  3. emd36

Changing direction of new PVC pipe while replacing slab on grade in new house

Hey, that is a good idea to run the 3" against the wall and running 45 at the toilet bend instead of jogging it over. I didn't think I could wet vent the toilet. Yet is seems to be common practice. I might call my inspector and ask. He has really been helpful. Thanks...
  4. emd36

Yes, thanks, I see several connections that look like santees. I know they are illegal used horizontally from the plumbing guide. I took all those that I bought back and purchased wyes. Substituting wyes is not difficult, just require an additional bend in most cases. The problem that I'm...
  5. emd36

I have been mulling over the discrepancies in the information that I have. The requirement to have no fixtures enter the drain except downstream of the vent must be a UPC requirement, I can't find it anywhere in the 2009 IPC. Bert Polk's Plumbing Guide clearly states in the Toilet Rough In...
  6. emd36

It appears I can eliminate the "cosmetic" toilet vent?
  7. emd36

Here is the photo of the bathroom pipe being laid out. Not glued yet. The sewer pipe takes a jog back to the vent pipe. so there are two 45's in between the toilet and the vent. I am planning to cut the pipe to place the sink between the toilet and the vent. I thought I also had to vent the...
  8. emd36

Thanks for helping me out. The initial drawing may have been from a 30's book, but I'm trying to follow 2009 IPC, so I altered the drawing using cut and paste. Is the tub not vented because the vent is connected to the main sewer instead of the trap? (as in Terry's post?) Have I fixed that...
  9. emd36

The tub in my picture is after the vent, right? How would I reproduce that 2 story drawing for a horizontal 1 story slab drain? Should the vent be directly over the trap? (I mean behind it since it can't be directly over the tub drain!)
  10. emd36

Turning on a deep well pump without a pressure system?

Ha ha, yeah, no water, no drains. Just want to get enough water for the drain inspection and will reinstall the pressure tank etc after a new slab is poured. It is a 2 wire pump, 240 volt. So I'm going to try direct wiring it to the circuit breaker box and use that as a switch. If the pump...
  11. emd36

Well, I borrowed some books from the library (online digital books) and figured out the solution to the sink between the toilet and vent problem. Just put in another vent! I had the extra pipe in there to keep from having the sink between the toilet and the vent but luckily I saw an image that...
  12. emd36

Turning on a deep well pump without a pressure system?

Can a deep well pump be wired to turn on directly? We are remodeling and took out the pressure tank. Tried to wire the pump back up with original pressure switch taken off the tank but the pump does not turn on, at least no water flows. The outside freeze proof hydrant has not worked since we...
  13. emd36

Sorry the photos are confusing. They show the old pipe layouts so that the differences are noted. Here is the floorplan with the size pipes and layouts for the whole house. The only plumbing not being redone is the bathroom in the back between the two bedrooms, that was ABS and is connected to...
  14. emd36

Adding baseboard heating to my current system.

All the documentation I have read says that 1/2 inch pex running with a correctly sized pump for the pressure loss over the distance can be up to 300' in length. (330 actually, but limited to 300 on the conservative side.) Why would you limit the length to 130'? Sounds like this install did not...
  15. emd36

Hi, I'm thinking of changing the direction of the drain pipes in the master bath area of our house remodel. We had to replace the slab on grade in this house because it was severely cracked due to expanding soils. We are replacing all the old cast iron with PVC. The lower portion of the...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks