Recent content by Eclecticmn

1. Eclecticmn

How to prepare cut copper pipe for sharkbite fitting?

I want to use a 1 inch sharkbite elbow to receive a 1 inch copper pipe coming down from a hot water cast iron radiator. I want to do this because the floor linoleum is crappy and will need to be replaced. I want to make it easier to move the radiator out of the way. I got a better tube cutter...
  2. Eclecticmn

Question about sweating street elbows.

Someone said that a street elbow should only be sweated inside a cup of another fitting, not a pipe. They said you should push the street elbow to hit bottom of the cup then fill with solder. I inserted the narrow end of a street union into a pipe interior and it wiggled. I think I will avoid...
  3. Eclecticmn

Question about sweating street elbows.

I never sweated copper street elbows before. I fit them together and there seems to be some wiggle room. More than with a normal pipe and fitting. Will this fitting with the smaller diameter of the street elbow inside the normal pipe solder OK?
  4. Eclecticmn

What valves to use for hot water cast iron radiators?

So, I cannot use a steam valve to throttle. I did not know that. When I bought "radiator" valves from the best old plumbing supply store long ago I hope they were hot water valves. Can I tell from looking which valves are which? Steam vs hot water? I learned the hard way that a one inch valve is...
  5. Eclecticmn

Thanks for the reply. I tried to troubleshoot this system for a long time and gave up. I previously posted piping diagrams and photos elsewhere. The only radiator not working was the slant fin pair in the kitchen. They are the highest point in that loop and I put elbow bleeder valves which were...
  6. Eclecticmn

How are cast iron radiators moved? Hard to take apart and reassemble?

So .... I found a free cast iron radiator on local craigslist, for free. 19 in high, 13 in wide, and5 1/3 feet long. I hired 2 movers who arrived on site and learned they could not move it. I did not have to pay. Lesson learned. I recently found one cheap on craigslist and do not know the exact...
  7. Eclecticmn

What pipe metal to use for cast iron radiators?

When I go to Home Depot I recall seeing black pipe, galv iron, and galv steel piping. What should I use to pipe in cast iron radiators?
  8. Eclecticmn

I have a hot water cast iron radiator system. It has separate supply and return pipes. My kitchen had slant fins that never got warm. I do not want to rehash that issue. The kitchen had not seen heat since at least before 1998 I recently learned. In a desperation to troubleshoot I cut the 3/4...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks