Recent content by dsorkin

1. dsorkin

Removing Boiler Plug from a Steam Boiler

How I removed it I struggled with the plug for a long time. I tried soaking it with penetrating oil over a multiple days, heating the surrounding metal with a torch, banging on it with a hammer, using a very long lever on the wrench - nothing worked. Finally I drilled a big hole in the plug...
  2. dsorkin

Dielectric Union Won't Budge

That looks horrible. Be prepared for the whole thing to fall apart. Maybe try some plumbers epoxy to stop the leak and then fix it properly after the heating season ends.
  3. dsorkin

Removing Boiler Plug from a Steam Boiler

If I wanted to how would I remove a plug from a 2 1/2 tapping on a steam boiler. It looks like it would require a square drive like for a socket wrench only much bigger. Is there a special tool to do this with? I am thinking about redoing the near boiler piping to my boiler next summer. It is...
  4. dsorkin

tapping a steam boiler?

Follow up - I spoke with Hydrolevel (manufacturer of the LWCO) and they confirm the installation of the probe into the riser pipe. Many thanks!
  5. dsorkin

steam radiator valve hole sizes?

If it is a two pipe heating system there could be a trap that needs to be replaced or incorrect pitch somewhere. I do not think the size of the vent would prevent the radiator from reaching the proper temp, a smaller vent hole would just take longer but would still fill with steam. Rather than...
  6. dsorkin

tapping a steam boiler?

Thanks for the reply John. I had also thought of doing that but wasn't sure if it would be safe enough. Do you know if that is a recognized installation method or if there was ever an inspector in my house they would get a good laugh at my expense from it? I like this idea because besides not...
  7. dsorkin

Insulating BoilerCopper Pipes

If there is ever a fire in the house the foam insulation will produce toxic smoke when burned. Fiberglass insulation will not burn.
  8. dsorkin

tapping a steam boiler?

Hi, I have an old steam boiler that I want to install an electronic Low Water Cut Off into. Unfortunately there is no opening in the side of the boiler where the probe can go. The probe requires a 3/4" NPT tap which would require a 29/32" hole. I imagine I can carefully drill the hole in the...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks