Recent content by dsc3507

1. dsc3507

Water supply to a toilet mysteriously stopped

Always interesting to know what solved the problem? Did you get the water flowing?
  2. dsc3507

Completely botched flange install

Just some thoughts... That hole cutter looks neat but I would be very careful. Thats the kind of thing you practice on first! Not sure what you floor material is but if you could chip off enough on each side to get a large stainless washer and flange bolt in from the side it might work. you...
  3. dsc3507

Anyone collect old toilets?

I thought I would throw this out there just to see. I am replacing a 1942 American Standard 1 piece toilet - 10" rough-in. It is in good shape but would need new fill valve and a good power wash would make it like new. It has a good flush. The date under the lid is December 7, 1942. If it was...
  4. dsc3507

Closet Flange Extension Kit Question

When stacking the spacers I would put a liberal coating of silicone sealant (clear, white) between each layer. It is desirable for the new flange to set on the floor making its top edge about 1/4" above floor level. If you put washers and nuts on the top of the flange bolts that come out of...
  5. dsc3507

Toilet flange broken AND sitting below tile

What is broken on the existing flange? Can you get bolts in it. It is hard to see in the photo. The Oatey extension just pushed into the existing 4" opening and then tightens to seal.
  6. dsc3507

Just to point out that the Oatey extender that I mentioned in the article will work in PVC, ABS, or cast iron. The item mention uses rubber and while it may last a good long time depending on what chemicals you use in the toilet I don't like relying on a rubber seal. It gets the job done but...
  7. dsc3507

See my write up on this at http://crompton.com/Installing%20an%20Oatey%20PVC%20flange%20extender.pdf You would not do it exactly the same way but the Oatey replacement extenders work well. There are two types. The one I used is inserted and uses three hex keyed bolts to tighten. They also have...
  8. dsc3507

New toilet install old plumbing

See this link for the final disposition on this project - http://crompton.com/Installing%20an%20Oatey%20PVC%20flange%20extender.pdf
  9. dsc3507

Yes. The plug is slightly smaller than 4" - you turn the screw to tighten. This is meant for pressure testing but I prefer it for long term closure of a flange over rags! The Oatey twist and seal flange extension I mentioned works similarly sealing against the inside of the 4 inch pipe.
  10. dsc3507

The plug shown inserted in the old flange in the photos - first message - is 4 " The Oatey twist flange allows raising and leveling the old flange.
  11. dsc3507

I was thinking about this one - https://www.homedepot.com/p/Oatey-Oatey-PVC-Twist-n-Set-Open-Flange-436512/100062268 It would allow me to adjust height. The only concern I have is screwing it down. I don't think I have any substantial floor to screw to so it would have to screw to the existing...
  12. dsc3507

I am replacing an old toilet in a 1950's home. Cast iron flange in good shape but slightly off level and about 1 1/4 inches below floor level. I have been told many things to do including just double or triple up wax. I got the Oatey set-right extender kit and it looked like a good method and...
  13. dsc3507

Gas line questions

I am installing a standby generator (Generac 20KW) to NG. My run is about 10 feet along a stone wall from the gas meter and then about 2.5 feet out to the gen. This will be 1" pipe just above ground level. In no case will it be buried but it will be exposed. Two questions come up. One is the...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks