Recent content by Doohickie

1. D

Water Heater Service?

Is there any regular servicing that needs to be done on a regular basis for an electric hot water heater? My wife is convinced that our water heater needs something done to it. I haven't noticed any issues, but she says she runs out of hot water when she's taking a shower. (Yes, she likes...
  2. D

Wonderboard x2... okay?

It wasn't as bad as it could have been. The greenboard was bad, but the wallboard behind it, while soft, was still white and not discolored. The wood behind it looked brand new. Anyway, thanks for the suggestions. I think I'll stick to the original plan and put up 2 thicknesses of...
  3. D

Wonderboard x2... okay?

So... I was cleaning my shower Saturday and cleaned a little too hard... I pushed a couple tiles right through the (wet, rotten) greenboard it was glued to. I ended up taking that whole section of wall down. The original construction was studs, 1/2" sheetrock, 1/2" greenboard, tile. I added...
  4. D

N00b fixture question

I picked up what I think I need at Lowes; I'll play around with it later. They have "universal" spouts that attach 18 different ways; surely one of them will work. I guessed well on all the stuff before checking, except for the vent cover plate. My tub doesn't have the stopper lever built in...
  5. D

N00b fixture question

Thanks. I plan on replacing the whole shower arm (all that sticks out of the wall) because the current one is antique brass and I want to change it over to chrome. So the advice is to remove the parts and take them to Lowes and see what they have to replace them.... my usual plumbing...
  6. D

N00b fixture question

I'm updating my bathroom and have nasty looking antique brass bathtub fixtures. I've had to replace the inner workings of the valve in the master bath which looks to be the same as this one and I'm pretty sure I can get chrome replacement parts for that. It's an off-brand contractor thing, but...
  7. D

Replacing toilet flange

Good news: The answer is I don't have to replace anything. If you look at the picture, you might be able to see that slotted hole the toilet bolt goes into was oriented so that the bolt was barely engaging in the narrow part of the slot- the oversized portion was right next to where the bolt...
  8. D

Replacing toilet flange

Can't bolt to the floor; it's concrete.
  9. D

Replacing toilet flange

Can I get one of those replacement rings at the big box places like Lowes?
  10. D

Replacing toilet flange

I found this thread with a Google search and it's kind of close to what I'm wondering about so.... here goes: I'm retiling my bathroom. I got the sink and toilet up, but when I looked at the tolet flange, it looks pretty rusted out. The house is about 20 years hold, on a concrete slab. The...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks