Recent content by Don in Ohio

1. Don in Ohio

Crane Walsan finally developed a leak ...Vintage

Woohoo! I am finally done with my wall-hung toilet replacement. The final step was accomplished this afternoon: my carpenter and I cut and installed the baseboard and shoe-molding, and I touched up the paint where the finishing nails were installed. We also created a removable "inspection...
  2. Don in Ohio

Here are more of the pics (there's a limit of 6 pics per post) ...
  3. Don in Ohio

Yahoo! Finally got the new Gerber Maxwell installed today. I did a lot thinking about the gaskets, and actually ordered a couple of the squishy rubber seals that are 1" thick, a couple of the Zurn 1-1/4" thick neoprene seals, and another of the 3/4" Zurn neoprene seals. The plumber considered...
  4. Don in Ohio

Thursday 6-7-16 Update! Okay, I have now resolved the problem with the missing nuts and washers on the finish wall. I used an exacto knife and cut around the carrier bolts enough to install new nuts, that are turned in enough to be flush with the finish wall. I then put new fender washers on...
  5. Don in Ohio

Hi guys (and gals!) - it's time for another quick update! Our drywall guy finished the patch, and did a beautiful job. You can't tell that the big hole in the wall for the internal tank was ever there. I've already primed and painted the wall, as well as the baseboard and shoe molding that will...
  6. Don in Ohio

So we've made more progress on the Walsan replacement project. The wallboard is in and our dry wall guy has one more skim coat to apply tomorrow. One problem discovered this morning was water dripping into the basement laundry room. I ended up ripping out some plaster to gain access to the...
  7. Don in Ohio

Thanks for the confirmation wmcandee. The new seat has arrived (thanks UPS) and it's a Bemis model 19170, identical to the Church 18170 (they're the same company). The plumber was here this morning to relocate the water supply line from the top right side of wall opening, to the lower left...
  8. Don in Ohio

Thanks for your reply and suggestions! After a consultation with our plumber, we decided it was time to bid farewell to the Walsan. It was a quality-made unit and served us well for decades (we're in my wife's childhood home). The retrofit of the behind-the-wall and under-floor cast iron...
  9. Don in Ohio

Okay, here's an update. It was a rainy Sunday here in Ohio, so I decided to take the Walsan toilet off the carrier. I tried using a strap wrench to get the big nut off the water inlet to the toilet (from the tank), but couldn't get a good enough grip on the nut. So I used the largest channel...
  10. Don in Ohio

Well, after faithfully working for more than 57 years, our 1959 wall-mounted Crane Walsan toilet in our powder room started leaking. The first clue was that the red birch floor under the bowl started cupping slightly. We searched for a leak, including behind the tank cover, and in the basement...
  11. Don in Ohio

Hi Frank, Saw a post about your bath remodel and wondered if you have decided to replace your...

Hi Frank, Saw a post about your bath remodel and wondered if you have decided to replace your Crane Walsan toilets with some other toilets. We've got 3 Walsans in our house and I'm trying to find a chrome-plated flush handle for one of them. If you decide to part with your Walsans, I'd love...
  12. Don in Ohio

Crane Walsan wall-mount toilets ...Considering replacing 3

Wow! Thanks Smooky! That's exactly the same color as the one I'm hoping to find the handle for. We also have the blue lab sink in the same powder room, and it's in excellent condition. Our other two Walsans are rose and gray. Kinda wish they were white, but they're real conversation pieces!
  13. Don in Ohio

Frank, If you're moving forward on your bath remodels and decide to replace the Walsan units, I'd like to purchase the flush handle from one or both, if they're in good shape. Here's the one I have that I want to replace, since it's been bent (probably by a heavy foot): Let me know if you...
  14. Don in Ohio

Crane Walsan wall-hung toilet, Seeking a flush handle ...

Hi plumbing enthusiasts! I have 3 Crane Walsan wall-hung toilets in our 1959 vintage home. They're all working perfectly (albeit not very water-efficiently!). One of them has a bent flush handle - apparently some miscreant decided to step on the flush handle rather than pressing the handle by...
  15. Don in Ohio

Thanks Terry and HJ! I just verified that bolt pattern is 9" in side-to-side and 7.5" in top-to-bottom dimensions. The distance from the floor to the lower bolt centers is 4-3/4" on one, 5" on another, and 5-1/4" on the third. I'm only allowed to use one of them (haha), so have never noticed a...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks