Recent content by dk1

1. dk1

notched joist

any thoughts on the flat stock?
  2. dk1

notched joist

got it, I happen to have some 1/4" flat stock steel lying about, but no plywood. If I slathered that with liquid nails would that be good as well? I suppose it would have to be bolted, which might weaken the beam even more?
  3. dk1

notched joist

very true. This is a 100 yr old home. The spans are 11' and joist are 14"-16" on center depending on the whim of the original carpenter. But concerning the fix for the notch how does that sound? In theory I get it, just wondering if it holds up in practice
  4. dk1

notched joist

Hi all, This isn't strictly a plumbing question but I don't know of any good construction forums. I had an overzealous electrition cut a 1.5 inch wide by 2 inch deep notch in the top of my 2x6 floor joist. I know that the top of a joist is in compression and the bottom is in tension. I've been...
  5. dk1

Waste fitting fixture identification, "Stringer Fitting"

bump for a fresh set of eyes. Also I'm going to have to go with the 4x3 spigot closet bend. 2x6 joists, space is tight.
  6. dk1

revised plan. I don't have room for a double fixture or san cross to fit in the stud bay of the wall, so I went with a stacked configuration. Because of this I believe I need to now vent the toilet, I did so with a low heel 90. Any glaring mistakes to this set up? thanks guys!
  7. dk1

So I could go with either the san cross or a double wye combo per code. Terry pointed out the pros to use the double wye. What would be the pros of using the cross over the wye?
  8. dk1

so by slamming the fixture you mean the pressure and amount of water flow coming from the toilet could cause issues? i'm not sure I could stack fittings as there is a bathroom downstairs. That would put the bottom fixture a good distance into that space. How tall would a double stack be?
  9. dk1

thanks for the great info. So a double wye fitting would work in this application? That's a relief. I've been doing research and see that a double fixture fitting should be used, but I'm having a heck of a time finding it in 4". I'm not familiar with the 45 degree designation from the above photo?
  10. dk1

Ok I've looked again and the toilet opening is under the vent, so does appear that all the fixtures on the 1st floor have a separate vent (not the soil stack) that terminates through the roof. So I won't need to re-vent which is good news. Enclosed are diagrams of my proposed set up. Could you...
  11. dk1

Thanks HJ, I'm going to take a look at it tomorrow and report back.
  12. dk1

thanks HJ! So this fixture, if installed properly, would allow me to use the 4" soil stack as the waste stack for the bathroom above?
  13. dk1

Hi guys, I'm building out our 1929 bungalow attic and would like to add a bathroom above the existing 1st floor bath. I'm aware that I need to make sure that the first floor bath is vented properly. I have two vents terminating out the roof. One is the 4" CI soil stack, another is 2". I found...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks