Recent content by diecastdawg

1. diecastdawg

What's the best washer shut-off value to buy?

I've got slightly leaking hot and cold washing machine shut-off values that I want to replace. It's just a tiny leak where the valve stem goes into the packing nut. I guess I could just replace the packing, but I wondered if I should just go ahead and replace them with something better for the...
  2. diecastdawg

How do you remove the cover on a PVC toilet flange?

How do you remove the temporary cover on a PVC toilet flange? Mine has a tab on top, but when I try to twist it off, it won't budge. Thanks.
  3. diecastdawg

I see a lot of posts on here about AAV's failing, but how many times have you actuall

I see a lot of posts on here about AAV's failing, but how many times have you actually experienced one failing? What percentage of the time (installations) have you seen them fail or have direct knowledge of one failing? 50%? 25%? 10%? 1%?
  4. diecastdawg

Question about Oakey shower drain for tile shower pan

I put the Hardibacker on the floor as added support for the subfloor. I'm going to put the pre-slope, etc. on top of the Hardibacker. So my question is whether the drain needs to be attached to the subfloor (i.e. Hardibacker) before I start the pre-slope work. Thanks.
  5. diecastdawg

Question about Oakey shower drain for tile shower pan

I'm doing an all tile shower (self remodel) and using the basic Oakey shower drain that screws down to tighten agains the tile when done. My question is with regard to where the bottom flange of the drain meets the subfloor (which is Hardibacker). This is before the mudbed. liner, etc. is...
  6. diecastdawg

Which is better for shower surround? Durock or Hardibacker?

This will be a fully tiled floor to ceiling shower surround, floor, and curb. I know that the pan area has to be propertly waterproofed, etc. But for the walls above the pan, do you prefer Durock or Hardibacker, and why? Thanks.
  7. diecastdawg

Can you give me a BALLPARK cost estimate please?

I know there are tons of variables with any job, but I'm just looking for a ballpark cost estimate for a licensed plumber to do this, and I know the actual cost can be outside of whatever range of answers are provided. I'm converting a half bath to a full bath (just a shower). What is a...
  8. diecastdawg

What is best/safest way to cut cast iron drain pipe (or "undo" the fittings)?

Gary, Thanks for the good advice. You are right. In the long run, some decisions to save a little money can cost you more. I had planned to use metal straps to make sure the cast iron did not fall during the cut, but that stuff is still very heavy, and even if I don't cause damage to...
  9. diecastdawg

Thanks for your reply. The reason I need to replace it is that at one of the fittings, the cast iron has dropped some, so that the next section of cast iron pipe is actually going a little uphill and does not fall correctly (to my eye at least). It is not leaking at the "dropped" section's...
  10. diecastdawg

I'm a total novice here so this may be a stupid question. I need to remove about a 20 foot section of 2" cast iron drain pipe to replace it with PVC. What is the best way to cut cast iron? My understanding is that sewer gases can be flamable, so I assume cutting it with a saw-zaw may create...
  11. diecastdawg

Can I tie new drain to old vent system?

Thanks for your response. The word "bypass" might not be accurate, but it is what came to my mind first. Picture the original drain pipe: It is capped where it comes out of the wall under the sink. Then they added a 2" PVC drain pipe next to it and it drops down to underneath the house as...
  12. diecastdawg

Can I tie new drain to old vent system?

Hopefully I can explain this sufficiently because I cannot take picture of this. We are remodelling a kitchen. New cabinets are now in place before I realized what a Studor vent was. The "old" kitchen had a Studor vent (and we have never had any problems with it in the three years we...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks