Recent content by Diavolicchio

1. Diavolicchio

Calculating Propane Usage and BTUs for Tankless Hot Water System

I've discovered a decent amount of information online regarding the Canadian version of the GFX known as the Power-Pipe (www.renewability.com). If you're considering a drain heat recovery system, please at least consider the following information before making any decisions about the type you...
  2. Diavolicchio

I'm talking with Joel and Francois specifically at Power-Pipe. They seem to be good guys and eager to help people make this technology work for them. The major expense seems to be going with a copper manifold. Yet I can't wrap my head around going with PVC. These beautiful copper columns...
  3. Diavolicchio

I've been speaking with the folks at Power Pipe too, in the hopes of getting a system from them just as effective for a little less money (or more effective for the same money.) I'll post how things price out once I've gotten my quote back from them. John
  4. Diavolicchio

The folks behind the GFX units I'm considering (www.gfxtechnology.com) don't publish a price list for the more customized units they make. I knew the pricing of their basic off-the-rack models from their website and made a rough guess as to what the more elaborate models might run. I was...
  5. Diavolicchio

I've had to re-design this system today, mostly because of one factor I hadn't taken into account: the potential for Legionnaire's disease. My original plan was to have a 119 gallon indirect-heated water tank heated to around 110F by a boiler loop from the wood stove. This however is also...
  6. Diavolicchio

I was just intrigued with the particular slide (the one entitled "tank-in-tank: the advantages") that showed how the tank-in-tank system preheated the same amount of water as the coil-based cylinder tank but in 1/3 the time because of the exceptionally large heating surface area inside the...
  7. Diavolicchio

Thanks. I really appreciate the advice. John
  8. Diavolicchio

I'll give it 10 minutes and this guy is going to start pulling someone's hair and calling him a doodyface. John
  9. Diavolicchio

Bison: I've found a great woodburning boiler stove for the living room (here's a better photo) that will easily heat the whole house as well as provide a 50,000 BTU/hr boiler (as opposed to the 16,000 Btu/hr boiler with the ESSE) to pre-heat the water in the storage tank. I'm just not sure...
  10. Diavolicchio

Bison: Maybe someone else in this Forum will have some constructive suggestions. I'm planning to give a call to the folks at Heat Transfer Products (SuperStor), TriangleTube and ESSE Wood Stoves on Monday to run this by them directly. I like the sounds of TriangleTube's Smart 120 indirect...
  11. Diavolicchio

No worries. Bison understood what I needed. I appreciate you responding. For the record though, I do care about my net carbon footprint. That's why I'm building a house that only requires 12,500 BTU/hr in the dead of a Maine winter to keep it at 70F. Even with the indulgent shower, I'm...
  12. Diavolicchio

Can I get a Hallelujah here? Bison: I'm glad you're on this list and not only understand what I'm trying to do, and how it all works, but why someone would want to do it. Your feedback is exactly what I was hoping to get. The preheating by the loop in the wood stove was based on nothing...
  13. Diavolicchio

I appreciate your 2-cents. Seriously. I've done my research though and am content with what I've learned and the technology I'll be utilizing. The water in this particular shower should hit the drain at around 95F and have no problems doing its job clinging to the pipe walls. My drain...
  14. Diavolicchio

If install cost wasn't an issue...

I'd definitely go tankless, because of the maximum temp rise needed of around 30 degrees and because of the sheer volume of water my primary shower would blow through in a given day. Space is also at a premium for me and I have no desire to double the size of the mechanicals room to be able to...
  15. Diavolicchio

Here's an illustration of the shower set-up. I'm eliminating the transfer valve so that all six shower heads can work simultaneously, and setting the whole system up so custom showers can be pre-programmed using a digital thermostatic valve and interface: I think it's a pretty safe bet that...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks