Recent content by Dhoerl

1. Dhoerl

Tankless + Electric-under-counter-heater requires expansion tank?

I just moved into a new house where the master bath is far away from the tankless Rinnai heater. It takes 1 min to get water to the shower and 2+ to the sinks (assuming shower off). I recently discovered that Bosch and others make small 2-4 gallon water heaters that inside the cabinet (under the...
  2. Dhoerl

12+ Year Old Electric Water Heater Rattles when water runs

I had an AO Smith 75 gallon high-efficiency (PVC inlet/outlet) that I paid thousands for in 2005. My well water had lots of lime and after 8 years it started to make noises. I cleaned it out with a citric cleaner (a bit scary!), and wanted to replace the anode too. But it was located under the...
  3. Dhoerl

I never got an email alert that you had posted - hope I didn't appear ungrateful. [But I got other messages - weird]. This device is attached to a basement apartment in an house owned by my daughter, I use it when visiting and she sometimes AirBnBs it out. Guess I should really install an alarm...
  4. Dhoerl

GE Profile Performance 50 gallon water heater, was installed prior to taking possession of the home.Serves a basement apartment that gets less than a full family use. Recently noticed a rattle when the water runs, stops immediately when the water stops flowing. Rattles when a faucet is opened...
  5. Dhoerl

Toilet bowl trap plug?

Great idea! Thanks!
  6. Dhoerl

Toilet bowl trap plug?

I've got a toilet with a water ring - actually a ring of lime. What I'd like to do is plug the trap, so I can get the water level above the trap and pour in a gallon of vinegar. Is there a trap plug I can buy? Or should I just get a large spongey material and stuff it in a plastic bag...
  7. Dhoerl

TOTO CST624CEFG frequent clogs in NYC

Thanks! I work mostly away from the office, but will try this next visit and update this thread. Again, thank you very much for the advice!
  8. Dhoerl

TOTO CST624CEFG frequent clogs in NYC

My small company has two lavatories in their 8-th floor office in NYC. Each has a TOTO CST624CEFG. These lavatories experience almost continuous use during office hours. About once a week there is a serious clog, and some volunteer has to come forward to unclog it (seems the young people of...
  9. Dhoerl

Loosen clogged Delta shower handle set screw?

So I was out in Seattle again, this time I really really heated the handle (I burned myself too). Anyway, it appeared the handle got looser - a little. The hex wrench also came out with some soap on it. What I finally did to remove it was to drill it out using hex type drill bits in an...
  10. Dhoerl

[My comments delayed since faucet is in Seattle, I'm in NJ, and I only get to work on it when visiting...] I was very hopeful for heating the handle. I took a soldering torch and heated the handle until steam came out the back, then for another 30 seconds. It was really hot, and I used gloves...
  11. Dhoerl

Thanks for the advise - I never thought of that. But shouldn't the handle be installed so the screw hole is on the bottom when water is flowing? Otherwise the hole is going to get clogged over time...
  12. Dhoerl

I inherited a shower stall with a Delta shower temperature control handle installed up-side-down. That is, when the control is set for normal temperature, the set screw hole is facing up instead of down (a condition I unfortunately see in many places). Over time, soap and water has dried in the...
  13. Dhoerl

Toto Soft Close Repair?

Just poking around again, I found a slew of thick Silicone Oil products rated by viscosity (so at least if one is too stiff or too weak you can try again). "Racers Edge 1,000 Wt Silicone Diff Oil 30 ml" is a 1000 weight oil. That same company makes a 3000 weight one too. A 500,000 weight...
  14. Dhoerl

Toto Soft Close Repair?

I had the same bad experience with "ACE Brand #4095667 Silicone Grease" - that stuff is too thin. The seat closes with some resistance, but makes a big "whack" sound when it hits the porcelain. The original goo was about half gone in each dampener, but stirring it with a small screwdriver showed...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks