Recent content by dereks

1. dereks

Riddle me this - Low and then Not so Low Water Output

My basement bathroom basin sometimes has low hot water flow. I think it is when the kitchen hot water is being used. Ideas?
  2. dereks

What color should faucets be?

I picked some fixtures for a bathroom remodel and the contractor asked me "are you sure???" faucets: chrome shower rod, shower vertical handle bar, towel bars, vanity handles, toilet paper holder, door knobs are all mismatched and all different kinds of brass, satin nickel, etc...oops...
  3. dereks

Line the trench for a new water line?

I'm having an addition built and asked about having a new water line put in. The neighbors say that their's last about 20 years before needing leaks repaired due to tree roots, old PVC leaking, etc. The contractor says it's my choice and that it will cost $1500 if I want it. The house is 100...
  4. dereks

Replacing an outside water bib?

Yesterday, I caught a crazy woman stealing 1 gallon of water from the outside spigot. One gallon will not bankrupt me but she left it dripping. Since she acted insane and very inappropriately, I'm afraid that she'll turn on the water all night. Is it easy to change the spigot to one needing...
  5. dereks

Any suggestions to design a house so frozen pipes are less frequent?

I know of a house where one side of the structure's plumbing gets frozen any time it's 20 degrees for 2 days. How to prevent this? Have plumbing in the interior and not running through outer walls? How about the garden hose on the outside? Maybe have a shutoff valve?
  6. dereks

Tankless water heater or tank? How about for this particular use?

I know people keep asking this but how about in my specific planned use? I am planning a mother-in-law type cottage which will be connected to the main house. Think of it like an addition which is what a future buyer could use it for. The planned use is to have a bathroom and a kitchen sink...
  7. dereks

Optimal location for water heater?

Care to comment? Contractor prefers the garage. I don't. However, I'm not an expert.
  8. dereks

Anybody for option #2????
  9. dereks

Where should a hot water heater be located. Option 1: In a utility closet near the kitchen and bath. Two baths are about 10-15 ft. away. Kitchen is about 15 ft. away. Second floor baths are directly above. All these distances seem relatively short. Advantages: hot water quickly! Hot...
  10. dereks

How fragile is PEX?

A contractor told me "PEX is great! It will last 25 years!" I am ready to put in PEX but I am concerned. 25 years ago is only 1986. If I built a house in 1986, I do not want to be changing water lines in 2011 (or if I build in 2011, 2036 is too soon). I see houses from 1950 in the...
  11. dereks

Designing a new house, open panels to make repairs easier?

I am starting to plan to build a house. I want to make it easy to repair. The city requires sprinklers. I was thinking of suspended ceilings to make sprinkler repair easier. Also a few floor drains in case it goes off. Any drawbacks to floor drains? Do I have to pour a little water in...
  12. dereks

New house planned: What's the best plumbing designs in the world?

Keep those ideas coming! Thank you. To clarify after reading some of the responses. The current, dumpy, small house is going to be torn down. It's in bad shape, very old, very small (1 BR, 1 BA). As far as the new 150 year lifespan house, I'd like to consider what to do if "cost is no...
  13. dereks

Keep those answers coming! Keep those answers coming! Not well water, but city water. I think the pH is not acidic. I'm an idiot. I don't understand "To no5: indirect off a mod-con boiler for the suggestion" Should the drains be as big as possible to they are harder to get stuck...
  14. dereks

I have a tiny and dumpy house that is ripe for teardown. I'd like to build a house that will last 150 years. I'm all thumbs so I'd like something bulletproof that will last without any repair. What should I do about plumbing? Here are some of my ideas, please improve on them. 1. Use...
  15. dereks

How to connect metal pipe to PVC?

Here is a photo. This is the original PVC pipe (cleaned a bit) and the metal pipe from the wall. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Pipes.JPG Disclaimer: I may use this photo to edit wikipedia so wikipedia police should not delete it. Thank you.
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks