Recent content by DAvid12846

1. DAvid12846

Re-packing a valve - Always hard to turn after re-packing

Thanks jadnashua. Which is better for packing? Graphite or Teflon rope? Is the preferred material based on whether it is hot water or cold water? For an old valve with conical shaped rubber packing and a metal washer, if I need to repack this type should I use another conical shaped piece? I...
  2. DAvid12846

Turning off radiators to save money

jadnashua, Except for the unused walk-out basement, the house is about 2,500 sq ft with very little insulation. Two story home. 3" of old 1950's rock wool in most of the attic (12" of fiberglass insulation over a 9'x12' room on the second floor), but no insulation in any side walls. The unused...
  3. DAvid12846

Re-packing a valve - Always hard to turn after re-packing

I need to replace the packing in a hot water in-line valve (not in a faucet). I've re-packed valves before, but afterwards, when I need to turn valves off, the valves turn very hard. Am I doing something wrong? It seems like the packing is compressed too hard against the stem. Some of my older...
  4. DAvid12846

Turning off radiators to save money

I have several cast-iron radiators turned off (and drained) to save on my heating bill. They've been like this for a few years, but a few months ago I turned off and drained another radiator. A few weeks ago the technician came to service our boiler for the winter. I live in upstate NY. I...
  5. DAvid12846

Flexible copper in hydronic heating systems

EEks! When I added the attachments, I told it "attachment" as opposed to "in-line". Looks like they're appearing "in-line"! Anyway, the photo under my posting is "PipingNow.jpg", my current piping. The next photo is Plan "A" (PipingPropA.jpg). The bottom photo is Plan "B" (PipingPropB.jpg).
  6. DAvid12846

Flexible copper in hydronic heating systems

My Dad had a hydronic heating system put in in 1967. He had the contractor put the 1" copper pipe through a double 2"x10"x10' beam (attached as PipingNow.jpg). The beam in our unfinished basement is a supporting beam with two 4"x4" posts on either end. Next summer I want to replace the beam and...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks