Recent content by davefoc

1. davefoc

American Standard Cadet 3 Three Toilet consumer product review

I was sorry to hear about your problems. I'm a non-plumber that has by now probably installed about 15 American Standard Cadet 3's. Along the way there have been a few problems but nothing like this. I've never seen a tank leak and most of the toilets I've installed have been in an apartment...
  2. davefoc

Thanks for the info. I agree about the seat and have generally replaced the cheesy plastic seat they come with, although I have usually bought the tank and bowl separately so I haven't had to deal with the seat. However, I have installed at least one with the cheesy plastic seat (CPC) and...
  3. davefoc

Trap arm height, minimum tail piece length

Thanks for the answers. The maximum length was described in several places but I didn't see anybody talking about a minimum length. Maybe I should have assumed that if it isn't mentioned there isn't one. This made me smile a bit. This is in an old apartment building and the electrical...
  4. davefoc

Trap arm height, minimum tail piece length

Is there a minimum length requirement for a single bowl kitchen sink tail piece? The trap arm center is 25 inches above the floor. The finished height of the counter top is about 36 inches above the floor. There was a seven inch deep sink in place previously. With that sink the tail piece...
  5. davefoc

Thank you for the response. - Dave
  6. davefoc

Jakeru's trick of lubricating the nut/washers seems like it might be a really good idea although the last time I (not a plumber, but I have installed quite a few toilets) installed a Cadet III I didn't have the difficulty with compressing the washer between the tank and bowl that I have had with...
  7. davefoc

I just installed my sixth Cadet 3 toilet and was careful to note details suggested by some of the posts in this thread. The toilet had a few defects: 1. The toilet seat bolt holes were 5 5/16 inches apart instead of 5 1/2 inches apart. I've been buying the toilet seats with the nickel...
  8. davefoc

I just read through most of this thread. Since January of 2008, I've installed three of the cadet 3's in the apartment building I own and a couple of more in private homes. One big gotcha was that the extended height version was too high to fit under a vanity counter that extended over the...
  9. davefoc

Shower valve rough in and NPT length

Interesting about the vent holes. I put in a tube and ran it down to the crawl space in one of the showers that I did. The bathroom above leaked a little bit, possibly from water splashing out of the shower, it was an old shower and I didn't feel like messing with it so I put a plastic tube in...
  10. davefoc

Bladder plumbing tool

I am sure you are right about that redwood. Even with my experience which is much greater than the average guys, the kind of clogged drains that I will attempt to clear is very limited. As soon as I stray very far from the hairball in the shower problem I quickly get into areas where I just...
  11. davefoc

Bladder plumbing tool

My apologies for making so many posts in this thread but this is exactly what did happen to me when I used the thing previously to what I described above. The out rush of sewage hit me square in the face. After the incident I ended up with a horrific case of stomach flu for a couple of days...
  12. davefoc

Bladder plumbing tool

No one knows that more than me. I had been screwing with this problem for about two hours and was seconds away from giving up when all of a sudden the water in the shower pan where I had the pump disappeared. My initial reaction was that somehow the pump had started to work much faster so...
  13. davefoc

Shower valve rough in and NPT length

I can see where you were going with the red guard on the closet wall and it might in net be a good thing. Over the life of a shower, there's a reasonable chance that there will be a leak at the valve or water entering through the hole for the shower heads I would guess (this is certainly true...
  14. davefoc

Bladder plumbing tool

This sounds like obi-wan telling Luke to feel the force.:) Thank you very much for the advice, although it sounds like the kind of advice where even if you know the trick you still don't have the skill to do it. This is the only place in the building where a sanitary cross is underground...
  15. davefoc

Bladder plumbing tool

I am not a professional plumber but I have done a lot of plumbing type maintenance work on an older building. I used one of those devices without success a few times and threw it away. Recently I had a situation where two back to back showers were stopped up. The snake passed through the...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks