Recent content by Davebutch

1. Davebutch

Two questions about Delta shower mixing valve

Thanks so much. This puts my mind at ease. I really didn't want to re-position the valve and cut and re-solder all the copper lines.
  2. Davebutch

Two questions about Delta shower mixing valve

I'm a DIY'er remodeling our 50-year old bathroom. The bathroom has a tub and shower, and I installed a Delta R10000-UNWS rough-in valve. I was very careful to set it at the right depth in the wall for the size tile and backer I'll be using. Based on a combination of what I read on this forum...
  3. Davebutch

New Toto Drake 2-piece leaking between tank and bowl

New Toto Drake 2-piece leaking between tank and bowl - Update The leak is stopped. I tried a strap wrench on the big nut at the bottom of the tank, but wasn't able to get a grip on it. I think the big rubber gasket between the tank and bowl wasn't seated well. Once I seated it firmly on the...
  4. Davebutch

New Toto Drake 2-piece leaking between tank and bowl

I recently installed a new Toto Drake two-piece elongated toilet and followed the directions provided in a posting on this forum (excellent instructions, by the way). At first, there seemed to be a leak around the bolt that holds the tank to the bowl on the left side. After contacting Toto, they...
  5. Davebutch

Leak around tank bolt on new toilet

I just installed a new Toto Drake two-piece elongated toilet using the directions provided in a posting on this forum (excellent instructions, by the way). Anyway, there is a consistent seep around the bolt that holds the tank to the bowl on the left side. It drips a few drops per day. I have...
  6. Davebutch

Toilet Shims

After a complete bathroom remodel, I'm almost ready to install the toilet. Because one of the tiles around the flange isn't totally level, I expect to have to use shims to level the toilet. The box store sells both hard and soft toilet shims. What are each used for, and which type should I plan...
  7. Davebutch

How hard is it to build a shower?

I was thinking the same thing. If the logs shrink even a little bit, it will be disastrous on the finished tile work.
  8. Davebutch

Did I overheat the valve when soldering?

I installed a Moen shower valve a few weeks ago. I did all the soldering to the valve on a bench. I removed the cartridge before soldering but didn't remove other parts, like the balancing drums or stops. After roughing in the valve and turning on the water, the stop on the hot side dripped a...
  9. Davebutch

Removing toilet, do i need a new wax seal?

Amen. They're only a couple of dollars, will keep forever, and don't take up much space on your shelf.
  10. Davebutch

I am confused on the best toilet to buy

Thanks! Great, useful info, Jim. Thanks from all us lurkers!
  11. Davebutch

Shower handle sticking out too far

Me, too. It would have made me cry, too! Thank God I noticed this thread before I put up the wallboard around my shower valve. I installed the valve (Moen) per the spec, but dry-checked it with a piece of sheetrock and tile after installing the handle, and it did stick out much too far. I...
  12. Davebutch

Cadet 3 FloWise (1.28 gal) with Korky WaterWise Fill Valve uses 1.6 Gal

Do American Std toilets come with a jar of rocks in case adjustments are needed?
  13. Davebutch

Another shower valve rough-in question

That's sort of what I figured: too deep is better than too shallow, but needed some confirmation. Thanks to all for the guidance.
  14. Davebutch

Another shower valve rough-in question

I just plumbed a Moentrol 3570 rough-in valve. The instructions say to mount the valve so that the plaster guard will be at the face of the finished wall. Since the finished wall will be board plus tile and thinset, I'm guessing the thickness to be at 1 1/8. If I mount the valve body...
  15. Davebutch

Re-soldering question from a DIY'er

Thanks to all for the quick responses and guidance!
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks