Recent content by Dave Bowers

1. Dave Bowers

Iron Bacteria - Hot Water Side

well the test strips I purchased: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07WRSLZWL?ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details&th=1 Only go up to 200 ppm. Needless to say, when I tested the water, the test strips came back black which is listed as 200ppm. Could be more than that I guess, but definitely not less! At...
  2. Dave Bowers

Well my hands stink of chlorine, but the hot water tank is being sanitized! I did not add the vinegar this round. I did drain the tank twice, and then filled with water and chlorine. I plan on giving it 10 hours or so, and then I'll drain, flush, and drain again. Hopefully, this will keep...
  3. Dave Bowers

A couple of questions for everyone: 1. @ditttohead - I am getting the water tested this week - What is/are the best/necessary test(s) to have performed on my well water when I believe there is IRB? 2. I have to sanitize this hot water tank (the hot water is nasty and stinking up the house)...
  4. Dave Bowers

@Reach4 Also, the tank is brand new as is the tub. All copper or pex. No braided lines or rubber lined lined plastics.
  5. Dave Bowers

@Reach4 I have the HTP Contender which I think does have an anode rode: https://htproducts.com/literature/lp-66.pdf https://htproducts.com/literature/lp-65.pdf I also just recently purchased a transfer pump from lowes, so I could efficiently drain...
  6. Dave Bowers

@Reach4 The toilets and cold water are not as concerning. The cold water has no odor, nor does it have any black spec/residue. I'm sure overtime it may start sliming the inside of the new toilets, but it doesn't really seem to be that big of an issue. It's been 10 months and the inside of the...
  7. Dave Bowers

Hey All, I'm back on this IRB hot water situation, and needless to say it is only getting worse. I am going to call in a couple of water companies to come in and give me estimates, but I honestly don't trust what they'll say. They each have a different piece of equipment they want to put in...
  8. Dave Bowers

Hey guys, thank you again for the replies. I am working on getting this whole house filter set up, and also hitting the road for family vacation. I'll be back in touch in a week or so with a few more answers, and probably a few more questions! @ditttohead I still need to send the water out for...
  9. Dave Bowers

Well sanitizing (extra attention to 4 inch casing)

@Reach4 I am putting a whole house filter in prior to shocking the well. The parts are on their way!! There was no way I was letting that nastiness back into the house. I am installing (2) 4.5 x 10 inch blue housings. One will act as a pre-filter at 20 microns (might go up to 50), and the...
  10. Dave Bowers

@Reach4 thank you for the reply. I am not sure if the smell coming from the HW is H2S, or just a mineral smell from the iron. Either way, I want to make sure this new tank is not sliming up like the old one. Would you recommend draining the tank, and then introducing the chlorinated water from...
  11. Dave Bowers

Well sanitizing (extra attention to 4 inch casing)

When I last shocked my well it turned up a ton of black, rust, dirty water, etc. I have no idea when, if ever, the well was shocked last. My question is, if I have to shock my well every 3-6 months, will that nastiness ever go away? Will the nastiness reduce each time, so it's more...
  12. Dave Bowers

Hello All, First I want to say I have read and read and read a lot if not all of the posts on Iron Bacteria, but unfortunately, I still have a few questions! Short (not so short) Summary: We purchased our house 2 years ago, and initially had a mineral/sulfur odor. We noticed this smell...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks